mfay2's Reviews > The Beginning of After

The Beginning of After by Jennifer Castle

Sep 16, 11

bookshelves: contemporary-read, favorites, read-2011

Laurel Meisner is a sixteen year old junior preparing to take the SAT test. But two weeks before that test, her mom, dad and little brother got into a car accident and lost their lifes. Driving that car was her neighbor Mr. Kaufman, who was the only survivor. Mr. Kaufman’s son, David, lost his mom on that accident, too. Now Laurel is without a family and more lost than ever. But with the care of friends and her grandmother Nana and her best friend Megan, she tries to move on from everything that has happened. But it won’t be that easy, specially when David appears and disappears from her life and everyone in town seems to pity her.

Why are the best books harder to review? Let me tell you, I had high expectations for this book and I felt satisfied with how the book went. The writing is so beautiful and I know people say this a lot, but it’s the truth. This book shows the main character going through her mourning. I liked that we got to see how she acted and how everyone else acted around her during that period in her life.

Now, let’s talk about David. I love romance interest but this wasn’t “insta-love” as some may call it. And I totally loved that! I have to give props to the author for that. The main character doesn’t even like him at all, even though they played together when they were kids. He even has a pimple one day. Can you say unperfect? Imagine befriending the son of the person that killed your family? Yeah, that’s not going to be easy.

They both deal with that accident in very different ways, being that he lost his mom in it. Also, I love her best friend Megan. She was always there for her even though she had her own problems at home.

Oh, the pets! There’s some animals that appear in the book (dogs and cats) and even them seem kind of real, had their own personality and you could almost see them in front of you.

While reading the book you just where waiting for her to break down. And when she finally did?… Just, wow!

One thing that I didn’t like as much was how the main character took advantage of the privileges the school gave her (not taking notes in class, having lunch outside of school…) And that made me question her but at the same time it made me think that if the same thing happened to me, would I not take advantage of them? In a way, I get the why she acted like that.

I cried while reading this book. Even in the first pages. I wasn’t bored at all and I found myself looking to see how many pages I had left because I didn’t want it to end.

I love the ending. I don’t think I would change anything about the book and that’s when you know the book you read was a good one. And the meaning behind the tittle? Whoever came up with it was a genius.Just pick up this book. You won’t be disappointed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Beginning of After.