Jeremy Garber's Reviews > Eating the Dinosaur

Eating the Dinosaur by Chuck Klosterman

Sep 16, 11

bookshelves: cultural-criticism, good-writing
Read in September, 2011

Chuck Klosterman is a genius. He makes me want to write. Seriously, I restarted my PhD dissertation with full energy after reading this book. Reading Klosterman is like having a half-drunken conversation with a really interesting friend who is fascinated by everything. In this book, Klosterman reflects on the process of interviewing and why people go through it, much less tell the truth; the similarities between Nirvana and David Koresh; how time travel is basically for lazy people who want to escape their situation rather than change it; that the genius of football is to be radically innovative while appearing conservative; and a whole bunch more that are all worth reading (even if you don’t care about football or ABBA). Klosterman is honest about his own situation and often incisive about modern culture, commenting at one point, “I aspire to think of myself as an analog person, but I am not. I have been converted to digital without the remastering, and the fidelity is appalling.” Don’t worry about it, Chuck. You’re still well worth listening to anyway.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eating the Dinosaur.