Wendy's Reviews > Anna Dressed in Blood

Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake

Mar 03, 2012

bookshelves: contemporary, ya-liked
Read from February 27 to March 02, 2012

** spoilers ahead, ye be warned **

I've heard lots of good things about this book, and I wasn't disappointed for the most part.

I have to say, for someone who never reads scary stories or cares for thrillers or horror, this had me on edge! When (view spoiler)

The writing was excellent, I felt totally engrossed in the story and the characters were true to voice. I thought Cas sounded believable in a mythical creature story. Until....

SCREACH!! Those are the tires coming to a grinding halt right in the middle of the story when Cas and Anna have this, "Aww shucks, you're kinda cute" conversation ... with flirting and everything. Ok, I get it. He's a cute 17 yr. old who hasn't stopped being a hormonal teenager just because he's a ghost killer. But ... sheesh. It just rubbed me the wrong way.

A lust for a murdered girl with the strength to rip bodies in half, who has murdered dozens of dozens of people (mostly innocent people... I'm sure there are a few exclusions) ... is just icky.

If we had a story where a girl falls for the serial killer, who overlooks all his serious misdeeds because he was cute??? There would be outrage, and an uproar of Twilight and Beautiful Disaster proportions.

I also didn't like that we find out that **MAJOR SPOILER **(view spoiler), but after that's discovered there's no mention of what happened to (view spoiler) Maybe we find out in the sequel, maybe we don't. It seemed like a glaring omission.

Also, there were two resolution's to the two strong plot lines ... Anna's 'unbinding' to the house and subsequent chilling out ... and then that other thing. Which wasn't really resolved. During a big fight scene at the end, it fades to black and we hear second hand just what the voodoo happened. Meh.

So, I was going to give 5 stars for how great the story is, and take two stars away for those things mentioned above. But it gets 4 for being good, and that I'm really looking forward to the next one.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anna Dressed in Blood.

02/29/2012 page 20
03/02/2012 page 190
60.0% "so, it's going good. I haven't read a 'scary' story in a long time, since 'World of Hurt' by Brain Hodge. Aaaaand then, it gets all, "Hi, I'm Anna, you're cute." "Aww shucks, I'm sorry I'm trying to kill you." "Lol. Yeah, I have an anger problem sometimes. I'm sorry I showed you all those decomposing bodies." .. . ... ?"
show 1 hidden update…