Scartowner's Reviews > Here Comes Trouble

Here Comes Trouble by Michael Moore

Nov 09, 11

bookshelves: first-reads
Read in November, 2011

I can't believe it - I won this book! Goes to show how random the winners are: I clicked on a few giveaways for the very first time! I can't wait to get the book (by Michael Moore! how exciting is that?!) and write a review. Psyched, can you tell??

I received the book in late October and read it in three days. I felt I was listening to Michael Moore himself, sharing some of his most funny, sad and ridiculous events in his life. That tells you what a great writer he is.

He begins with a shocker: Right wing conservative talk radio and (Fox and friends) TV people repeatedly made statements that Michael Moore should be killed. Just joking of course. But reality stepped in and brought out the "acting out their fantasies" crazies wherever Moore went, AND where he lived. Yet no one reported the threats by Glenn Beck, Bill O'Reilly and who knows what other assholes.

The book continues with sketches of how he started trouble from his early youth through today. But if you're looking for chronological events, don't bother. Moore weaves stories together forward and backward in time. You learn about how his mother influenced his politics and self-confidence, his love-hate affair with Nixon, his close call with a terrorist, his outspoken rebuke at the Oscars to President Bush on his attack on Iraq. And, most amusing to me, his rant/speech to the Elks Club elder on its racist policies.

Perhaps Moore's most inflammatory act was that Oscar night speech. I recall my own grief and weeping when the War was announced. I remember clearly saying, so many people are going to die for no good reason. I remember how afraid I was of speaking my mind, because then, anyone who disagreed was a traitor. I knew, and Michael Moore knew, that repressing truth or not allowing a civil discussion is the death blow to real freedom.

Moore has courageously effected change by bearing light on issues he knows are important to everyone. And really folks, the buttons he pushes need to be exposed. You are my hero, Mr Moore!

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Here Comes Trouble.