Ivana's Reviews > Contact

Contact by Carl Sagan

Jan 14, 12

Good sf novel with a lot of scientific detail that make it credible and realistic. You can really learn some fascinating facts from this one. The idea of the book is great and the story is interesting. The leading lady is a great character, human yet very strong woman. Eleanor "Ellie" Arroway is the best part of the novel in my opinion. I liked the way her past gets mixed with her present. All in all, one of the most fascinating characters in the genre. Nevertheless, he is not the most successful writer mainly because he's so exclusive. He is good at understanding the scientific mind, but other stuff? Not really. The human side to novel is less than perfect.

Who likes militant religious people? So, yes it's humour when he makes fun at them. However, the fact that he is a militant atheist makes it kind of ironic. He takes it too far, gets too involved in it I would say. Sagan is more alike to them, more than he would like to admit. His atheism is...boring...it feels like an ideology in itself. That's the feeling I got, I may not be right but... Scientific thinking should be open. Saying that there is no way God could exist is just not really open thinking. Scientist should not be afraid to say: “I don’t know.”. Using your book for promoting your point of view is a tricky choice. It can backfire, it often does. Listening to someone preaching why there is no God is just as boring as someone explaining why his version of God is the only one. Live and let live, man. That being said, it really is a good novel. There was really only that one thing that bothered me and I've said enough about it.

I liked the film version as well. It is not as good as the novel, but it's o.k.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Contact.