Mrs. Badass's Reviews > Lord of the Abyss

Lord of the Abyss by Nalini Singh

Oct 10, 2011

bookshelves: awesome-covers, kindle, netgalley, own-but-not-read-yet
Read from September 16 to 20, 2011

Listen up all my readers, and listen well, for I have got at tale to tell.

Once upon a time, long, long ago
There was a King and Queen with four happy children
But one day when the youngest was not but five, evil stalked and claimed
He killed and destroyed, butchered and maimed
Sent as far apart as their mother could reach, each man{ok and woman}-child awoke from a dreamless sleep. {OK, well Micah did lol}

The tale I tell is of Lord Abyss,
youngest prince of Elden.
Alone in a castle, black as pitch
not a soul in site.
Until one day out of nowhere,
a woman lands from flight.
Shapeless clothes, matted hair
a warriors heart and soul
She set her mind to aid the prince
re-claim his birthright and throne

That's all I got. I'm not feeling terribly creative at the moment, and I lost my writing mojo when I lost more than two hours of sleep in a row seven years ago, so well, there you go.

Lord of the Abyss by Nalini Singh was just awesome. I didn't read the other three previous books and I didn't feel like I was missing anything vital.

Micah was uncivilized, but also pure of heart, having been un-corrupted and alone the past twenty years. He captures souls sent to the Abyss and sends them through the gates to (hell I believe), and resides in the Castle of Black amongst the ghosts and his two servants and friends, Bard and Jissa. Whom I loved tremendously. They were both fantastic secondary characters with lots of heart and an openness I found satisfying.

Both Micah and Liliana are virgins, and you don't see that very often. I give Nalini kudos for writing strong lead characters who are so untainted despite life circumstances. Both Micah and Lily should be broken and defeated, cold and harsh, and yet they are both fierce and determined. Innocent where it counts. Pure in heart and spirit.

I love Nalini's dark seductive style. It resonates with me. I devour anything she writes in the Urban Fantasy/paranormal setting. She just seems to get it. Whatever “It” is.

If I had any negatives about the book, it was the ending was rushed. The book was only 288 pages, and being a shorter novel there was a lot of complex world building and romance, leaving the final battle to be short and rather anti-climatic. Still, I enjoyed this book immensely. I wish it was longer. I wanted more. I want to find out more about how Lily and Micah are doing. That says a lot right there.

2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lord of the Abyss.

09/19/2011
20.0% "oh wow, Liliana is a tortured soul :( her past is horrific"
09/20/2011
20.0% "an ugly heroine you say? go Nalini!!"
09/20/2011
30.0% "i'm loving this book. virgins!!"
09/20/2011
30.0% "OMG I LOVE THIS BOOK!!"
09/20/2011
45.0% "ooooooo I heart this book. so goood"
60.0% 3 comments

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) That is a damn fine chest on that man. Is he astride something? Just wondering.