Rob Preece's Reviews > Makers

Makers by Cory Doctorow

Sep 17, 11

Read in September, 2011

If you love Doctorow, you'll definitely love this one. It's got a strong political message, an intriguing view of the near future with an emphasis on economics and social change, and a "geeks rule" mentality. If you like a character-centered novel, or if you've struggled with Doctorow before, you might want to stay clear.

I chose to upgrade the star-count because I think Doctorow is doing what speculative fiction is intended to do--looking into the future and playing what-if. I think Doctorow is missing the boat when it comes to intellectual property--in my view of the future, intellectual property becomes the only meaningful value-add that exists. Still, it's worth pushing his envelope and seeing where his world moves.

I marked Makers down a bit because I just couldn't get into the characters. None of the protagonists ever doubted. None tried and failed (except Sammy who is more of an antagonist, after all). They were just a bit too perfect for my tastes, always sure of their moral high ground without ever having their noses rubbed in their mistakes. I want a story where people change, grow, struggle. I just didn't see this in Makers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Makers.