Rebecca's Reviews > Fateful

Fateful by Claudia Gray

Oct 12, 11

bookshelves: love-the-cover, i-own, awesome-heroines
Read from September 24 to 26, 2011

My opinion of this book may be a little biased, because I go crazy for Titanic stories - and I've never read one with a paranormal element before!

I thought the author did a really good job with the setting, because everything felt accurate and real. It mentions in the acknowledgements that when she didn't have solid facts, she had to take her best guess. Good guessing! I recognized a few real people (John Jacob Astor, Mr. Bruce Ismay, etc.), but the story mainly focuses on the fictional characters. I feel that the novel was very well-researched, not just with the Titanic, but life as a servant in the early nineteenth century and other points as well.

I was a teensy bit skeptical when I picked up Fateful, because I just didn't see how werewolves could be mixed up with the Titanic. But Claudia Gray held my attention in the magical/fantasy aspect of the novel quite well. The characters are wonderful and memorable, and I appreciated the fact that I understood why the love interests were attracted to each other. I read too many books these days in which two people can't stop thinking about each other for no reason whatsoever. The villians were scary, too. ;)

I also enjoyed the pacing of the book. There was always so much going on - I never felt bored, and I was always eager to move onto the next chapter. Of course, everyone knows from the beginning what will become of the poor Titanic (it's official - I can't watch one movie or read one book in which that sucker doesn't sink), but I always find it interesting to read/watch different perspectives. The actual sinking, however, really doesn't take up much of Fateful at all.

Fateful was an interesting, well-researched, good novel. I highly recommend it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fateful.

Quotes Rebecca Liked

Claudia Gray
“I wonder how much of the rest of his clothes I could convince him to take off, then wonder where that thought came from.
Well I guess I know.”
Claudia Gray, Fateful

Claudia Gray
“But you have nothing better to do with your time than harass us, do you? Go back to ruling the universe from Mount Olympus or whatever else it is you mongrels do.”
Claudia Gray, Fateful

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Warner ♥ " I appreciated the fact that I understood why the love interests were attracted to each other. I read too many books these days in which two people can't stop thinking about each other for no reason whatsoever." I know exactly what you mean! Its kinda irritating.

Rebecca Thank you! Yeah, that's a huge turn-off in a novel to me. People don't just become instantly infatuated with each other for no reason. I like it when there's a subtle kind of romance in a book that slowly builds until the characters have real, solid reasons for wanting to be together.