rameau's Reviews > The Story of Us

The Story of Us by Deb Caletti

Apr 28, 2012

bookshelves: i-wants-it-bad, genre-ya, genre-realistic, read-in-2012, recommending, rating-this-is-how-it-s-done, language-english-original
Read from April 25 to 28, 2012

This isn't an objective presentation of facts. This is a tangled mess of my emotions and Caletti's beautiful story, which will stay with me for a long time.

It's a good thing then that a review is by definition an opinion, isn't it.

Caletti writes some of the best realistic young adult fiction I've ever read. Full stop. Her focus isn't on the romance--which undoubtably will disappoint some--but on those very real moments of growing up. Of figuring out who you are and who is your family. Who do you need to hold on and who do you need to let go.

Cricket's mother is getting married, again. She managed it once before, but after the divorce she's jilted at least two if not three men at the airport. Remember the airport. Those men she left before weren't very nice men, but Dan Jax is, and Cricket worries that jilting fiancés has become a habit to her mother. It helps that they're having the wedding on an island far away from any airport but then again, they're spending the week before the wedding on an island with two crazy families coming together.

So while Daisy, Cricket's and Ben's mother, is sorting out her own mess and moving on with her life, Cricket struggles to decide what to do with hers. She's graduated trying to choose a college, her long-time boyfriend is waiting for an answer, there's an intriguing new boy--a young man really--on the island, and her best friend decides this is the time to profess his undying love for her.

The now is revealed in an appealing first person past tense narrative, which if you know me is a huge deal. The past and how they got to that island is revealed in the long emails Cricket writes to her not-quite-ex-boyfriend Janssen. Because it's all in first person limited, there aren't any of those annoying point of view changes that would normally make me climb up a wall. In Stay Clara's history with Christian permeates the story like good creepy stalkers do, but here, in The Story of Us, Cricket hovers between the two, which emphasises nicely her place in life. The in between.

There's a small mystery of what exactly happened between Cricket and Janssen that has thrown them into this limbo. It isn't that difficult to figure out, but neither is your first guess probably the right one. I was in the happy place where the obvious answer crept up on me and surprised me without shocking me. This too shows that the story isn't so much about the destination than the journey there.

Last year I read Stay and loved it. It wasn't a perfect book, but it was perfect for me. And the thing that annoyed others made me only love it more:

The ending.

I didn't cry when Clara found her closure--that came before--but I did cry when Cricket found hers. The reason why it touched me so, was because it really wasn't Cricket's ending, it was Jupiter's. That dog, only eight years old, was tired and doddery, and she was saying her goodbyes all the way through this book. She was preparing her family for that last day, and I was crying my eyes out.

See, a couple of weeks ago, on April 11th, I lost my Kitty. She was 25 years old and in pain on that Easter Monday, but it took us two days to get hold of a vet. We used those two days to say our goodbyes.

Throughout this book I was having flasbacks to Kitty and everything that happened this past year. Actually, it was quicker than that, she didn't really start to show her age until before last Christmas. So, every time the stairs were mentioned, the shaky legs, the grey hair, the accidents and the shame after, I thought of Kitty.

Accepting change is never easy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Story of Us.

Quotes rameau Liked

Deb Caletti
“Flawed Human Parents + Shit Life Throws At You = Childhood That 'Builds Character.”
Deb Caletti, The Story of Us

Deb Caletti
“A relationship could be a place to hide too.”
Deb Caletti, The Story of Us

04/25/2012
2.0% "I have a lot of feelings, okay!"
04/25/2012
4.0% ""I love that arm." All the feelings. I'm a mess."
04/25/2012
5.0% "So. Many. Book. Quotes. I could be quoting, but I won't. You'll have to read it for yourself." 2 comments
04/25/2012
8.0% "Another troubled parent ahead."
04/27/2012
28.0% ""Any story with a cello ends badly.""
04/27/2012
29.0% ""Out was a huge place.""
04/27/2012
33.0% ""-an athlete-asshole, which was worse than the regular kind.""
04/27/2012
35.0% ""'Anyway, no airports here.' He sounded kind of sorry." I laughed."
04/27/2012
40.0% ""When you try on lots of outfits, you're probably going somewhere you don't want your brother to be.""
04/28/2012
69.0% ""I watched her and my mother out there. And I realized what a big job our dog had, looking out for all of us." *sobs*"
04/28/2012
71.0% ""When you're a girl, desire means you're a slut, but when you're a guy, it means you're normal. What's up with that?""
04/28/2012
74.0% "I really want to quote that bit and I can't because it's spoilery, but damn. Why can't I read more books like this?" 1 comment
04/28/2012
77.0% ""That hair alone was character.""
04/28/2012
85.0% "Gah! Another quote I can't quote because it's spoilery."
04/28/2012
86.0% ""I flinched at the glimpse of dueling tongues doing a scene from Robin Hood <\i> with pink swords." Lmao"

Comments (showing 1-6)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 6: by Megan (last edited Apr 28, 2012 10:10AM) (new) - added it

Megan Your Kitty was 25 years old? That is amazing! You must have taken such good care of her. She was a beautiful cat, calicos are always so pretty. I am so sorry that your time with her is over, losing a pet is so very, very hard.

My Boo Cat will be 16 in June. I constantly obsess over his health and geriatric kitty status. His mother only lived to be 14, so these extra years with Boo seem to be a blessing :)

Anyway, loved the review! But ageing pets get me everytime in a novel, this one may be on the tbr list for a while.

rameau 25 years old and fourteen of those with us. The first eleven she lived with the next door neighbour, but when they got a new doberman puppy (dead now for many years) she chose to move.

Also, say hi to Boo Cat for me, would you.

message 4: by Megan (new) - added it

Megan rameau wrote: "I didn't realise there would be an old dog until I started and read the foreword, but it wasn't in me to put down Caletti's book. I completely understand wanting to pick your moment to read this and that's part of the reason why I mentioned it in the review..."

Your warning is much appreciated!

"Also, say hi to Boo Cat for me, would you."

=)

message 3: by Mirabelle (new)

Mirabelle I am very, very sorry about your Kitty :'(.

I am however, very happy about finding this review. This story looks great!

message 2: by Anya (new)

Anya i know how it hurts when you lose a pet. five years ago my german shepherd died of a kidney failure and i still cry over him. May your kitty rest in peace.

rameau Mirabelle wrote: "I am very, very sorry about your Kitty :'(.

I am however, very happy about finding this review. This story looks great!"

Thanks. I may or may not be slightly irrational when it comes to Calett's books so take everything I say with a grain of salt until you've formed your own opinion about her writing.

Anya wrote: "i know how it hurts when you lose a pet. five years ago my german shepherd died of a kidney failure and i still cry over him. May your kitty rest in peace."

Thank you. It was, is, harder on my mum who has looked after her ever since I moved away. I just saw her when I visited and got to hold her because she just wouldn't let go. The next time I visit home is going to be murder.