Ivana's Reviews > Songs of Innocence and of Experience

Songs of Innocence and of Experience by William Blake

Dec 14, 11

The main reason why I like Blake is simply because I enjoy his poems. Yes, he was a visionary and was remarkable in all kinds of ways... That all put aside, he really is a great poet. Call him pre- Romantic or Romantic poet; I don't see anyone from that period similar to him. In a way as a poet in my mind he always stood alone. There is something unique about him. His poetry is only simple at the first glance. The more you look at it the more interesting it gets. I liked the contrast between his poems of innocence and experience, the division that does not prevent connection because the poems are open to comparison. Some of them ( I can remeber is it all of them) even have pairs, in terms of similarity- so for instance one poems in songs of innocence can be connected with another poem in songs of experience.
Social satire and criticism is rarely that well played out in poetry, another aspect of his work that I'm fascinated with. The emotions his poems about orphans inspire have to be intense. It could not have been written any other way, not if he was going to get people’s attention. He portrayed social problems so well, he was so precise in his images- I almost had a feeling I was there. There is something mystical in some of his poems, at least those that have philosophical and spiritual undercurrents. I find that part of his poetry so alluring.
I remember looking at his paintings at some point. The one I liked the most were illustrations of Dante’s Infermo. Even his painting style was very unique.

*Tyger* just has to me one of my favourite poems of all times. The rytmh of it is beautiful.
Another favourite of mine is *Ah! Sunflower*

Ah Sunflower, weary of time,
Who countest the steps of the sun;
Seeking after that sweet golden clime
Where the traveller's journey is done;

Where the Youth pined away with desire,
And the pale virgin shrouded in snow,
Arise from their graves, and aspire
Where my Sunflower wishes to go!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Songs of Innocence and of Experience.