Isabel's Reviews > City of Bones

Sep 16, 2011

bookshelves: books-i-own, reviewed
Recommended to Isabel by: Zoë Marriott
Read in September, 2011

This is my new favorite book! Wow... I really want to write a review, but I don't know if I can adequately express what I think about it without dissolving into fangirly squealing. But if anyone really wants me to write one then I'll give it a shot. :) Just leave a comment if you want me to!

(AHHHHHHHHH it was so good!!!)

Updated: So, by popular demand (AKA I just randomly decided to write a review), I’ve decided that yes I AM going to torture you all by ranting on aimlessly about how much I love this book. To organize my thoughts a bit, I’ve made a nice(ish) little list:

Reason #1 why City of Bones has become my favorite book EVER: Jace! Jace! I love him!! Now, you all know that I have a very extensive list of book crushes (well, eight, actually) and he’s number one. I just . . . love him! I mean, is it possible NOT to?

Reason #2: I basically love the entire cast of characters, especially Clary; she’s the perfect POV for the story. She enters it without having a clue what’s going on but somehow manages not to act annoyingly dumb and clueless anyway. Also, she can totally kick butt!

Reason #3: I don’t know how Cassandra Clare does it, but this plot? This world that she’s created? It's AWESOME. It’s so addicting that I can’t help but start reading City of Ashes NOW, even though I was originally planning to jump right into The Gray Wolf Throne, book three of the Demon King series. (Sorry, Cinda Williams Chima. I just have to find out what happens in book two first!) She’s so skilled, and I don’t know how she comes up with all these twists and turns and that surprise ending that will make your jaw drop in astonishment. (That is, if SOMEONE—coughWILLIAMcough—hadn’t spoiled it for me in the first place!!)

Reason #4: IT. IS. HILARIOUS. That’s all I have to say on that front.

Reason #5: The writing is incredible! I think one of the quotes in the first page of the book (you know, the praise for City of Bones) mentioned that her writing style manages to be descriptive and fast-paced at the same time, and I couldn’t agree more! It’s the perfect prose for the story Clare is trying to tell.

I think that about sums it up. I’ll close by just saying that you NEED to pick up this book RIGHT NOW. And if you’re planning on spacing the books out so that you don’t have to wait five bigillion years to read the last one, like I originally planned to do . . . good luck with that!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Bones.

Quotes Isabel Liked

Cassandra Clare
“Can I help you with something?"
Clary turned instant traitor against her gender. "Those girls on the other side of the car are staring at you."
Jace assumed an air of mellow gratification. "Of course they are," he said, "I am stunningly attractive.”

Cassandra Clare
“Don't touch any of my weapons without my permission."
"Well, there goes my plan for selling them all on eBay," Clary muttered.
"Selling them on what?"
Clary smiled blandly at him. "A mythical place of great magical power.”

Cassandra Clare
“Have you fallen in love with the wrong person yet?'
Jace said, "Unfortunately, Lady of the Haven, my one true love remains myself."
..."At least," she said, "you don't have to worry about rejection, Jace Wayland."
"Not necessarily. I turn myself down occasionally, just to keep it interesting.”

Cassandra Clare
“One of the Silent Brothers is here to see you. Hodge sent me to wake you up. Actually he offered to wake you himself, but since it's 5 a.m., I figured you'd be less cranky if you had something nice to look at."
"Meaning you?"
"What else?”

Cassandra Clare
“Let me put it this way, my father believed in a righteous God. Deus volt, that was his motto- 'because God wills it.' It was the Crusaders' motto, and they went into battle and were slaughtered just like my father. And when I saw him lying dead in a pool of his own blood, I knew then that I hadn't stopped believing in God. I'd just stopped believing God cared. There might be a God, Clary, and there might not, but I don't think it matters. Either way we're on our own.”
tags: god

Cassandra Clare
“Is this the part where you start tearing off strips of your shirt to bind my wounds?"
"If you wanted me to rip my clothes off, you should have just asked.”

Cassandra Clare
“Sarcasm is the last refuge of the imaginatively bankrupt.”

Cassandra Clare
“The meek may inherit the earth, but at the moment it belongs to the conceited. Like me.”

Cassandra Clare
“Do you remember back at the hotel when you promised that if we lived, you’d get dressed up in a nurse’s outfit and give me a sponge bath?" asked Jace.
"It was Simon who promised you the sponge bath."
"As soon as I’m back on my feet, handsome," said Simon.
"I knew we should have left you a rat.”

Cassandra Clare
“The boy never cried again, and he never forgot what he'd learned: that to love is to destroy, and that to be loved is to be the one destroyed.”

Cassandra Clare
“It means 'Shadowhunters: Looking Better in Black Than the Widows of our Enemies Since 1234'.”

Cassandra Clare
“It's not gray," Clary felt compelled to point out. "It's green."
"If there was such a thing as terminal literalism, you'd have died in childhood," said Jace.”

“It's a coffee cup."
She could hear the irritation in her own voice. "I know it's a coffee cup."
"I can't wait till you draw something really complicated, like the Brooklyn Bridge or a lobster. You'll probably send me a singing telegram.”

Cassandra Clare
“I figured all your classes were stuff like Slaughter 101 and Beheading for Beginners."
Jace flipped a page. "Very funny, Fray.”

Cassandra Clare
“Where there is love, there is often also hate. They can exist side by side.”

Cassandra Clare
“You guessed? You must have been pretty sure, considering you could have killed me."
"I was ninety percent sure."
"I see," Clary said. There must have been something in her voice, because he turned to look at her. Her hand cracked across his face, a slap that rocked him back on his heels. He put his hands on his cheek, more in surprise than pain.
"What the hell was that for?"
"The other ten percent.”

Cassandra Clare
“Your friend's poetry is terrible," he said.
Clary blinked, caught momentarily off guard. "What?"
"I said his poetry was terrible. It sounds like he ate a dictionary and started vomiting up words at random.”

Cassandra Clare
“Are you the one with the blue eyes?"
"Actually, my eyes are usually described as golden...and luminous.”

Cassandra Clare
“Sorry, are you telling me that your demon-slaying buddies need to be driven to their next assignment with the forces of darkness by my mom?”

Cassandra Clare
“The rat, huddled in the hollow of her palms, squeaked glumly. Delighted, she hugged him to her chest. "Oh poor baby," she crooned, almost as if he really were a pet. "Poor Simon, it'll be fine, I promise-"
"I wouldn't feel too sorry for him," Jace said. "That's probably the closest he's ever gotten to second base."
"Shut up!" Clary glared at Jace furiously, but she did loosen her grip on the rat.”

Cassandra Clare
“Don't stop there. I suppose there are also, what, vampires and werewolves and zombies?"
"Of course there are. Although you mostly find zombies farther south, where the voudun priests are."
"What about mummies? Do they only hang around Egypt?"
"Don't be ridiculous. No one believes in mummies.”

Cassandra Clare
“Don't order any of the faerie food," said Jace, looking at her over the top of his menu. "It tends to make humans a little crazy. One minute you're munching a faerie plum, the next minute you're running naked down Madison Avenue with antlers on your head. Not," he added hastily, "that this has ever happened to me.”

Cassandra Clare
“Magnus, standing by the door, snapped his fingers impatiently. "Move it along, teenagers. The only person who gets to canoodle in my bedroom is my magnificent self."
"Canoodle?" repeated Clary, never having heard the word before.
"Magnificent?" repeated Jace, who was just being nasty. Magnus growled. The growl sounded like "Get out.”

Cassandra Clare
“Investigation?" Isabelle laughed. "Now we're detectives? Maybe we should all have code names."
"Good idea," said Jace. "I shall be Baron Hotschaft Von Hugenstein.”

“All knowledge hurts.”

Cassandra Clare
“A diary with no drawings of me in it? Where are the torrid fantasies? The romance covers?”

Cassandra Clare
“Out of the corner of her eye she thought she saw Jace shoot her a look of white rage - but when she glanced at him, he looked as he always did: easy, confident, slightly bored.
"In future, Clarissa," he said, "it might be wise to mention that you already have a man in your bed, to avoid such tedious situations."
"You invited him into bed?" Simon demanded, looking shaken.
"Ridiculous, isn't it?" said Jace. "We would never have all fit."
"I didn't invite him into bed," Clary snapped. "We were just kissing."
"Just kissing?" Jace's tone mocked her with its false hurt. "How swiftly you dismiss our love.”

Cassandra Clare
“He took something out of his jacket and handed it to her. It was a long thin dagger in a leather sheath. The hilt of the dagger was set with a single red stone carved in the shape of a rose.
She shook her head. "I wouldn't even know how to use that--"
He pressed it into her hand, curling her fingers around it. "You'd learn." He dropped his voice. "It's in your blood."
She drew her hand back slowly. "All right."
"I could give you a thigh sheath to put that in," Isabelle offered. "I've got tons."
"CERTAINLY NOT," said Simon.”

Cassandra Clare
“Pretty soon the only people left without a girlfriend will be me and Wendell the school janitor, and he smells like windex."
"At least you know he's still available.”

Cassandra Clare
“Come in. And try not to murder any of my guests."
Jace edged into the doorway, sizing up Magnus with his eyes. "Even if one of them spills a drink on my new shoes?"

"Even then.”

“You're an idiot."
"I've never claimed to be otherwise.”

Cassandra Clare
“Going round and around inside a dryer can be fatal, whereas pasta is rarely fatal. Unless Isabelle makes it.”

Cassandra Clare
“Where's Simon?" Clary interrupted.

Isabelle wobbled. "He's a rat," she said darkly.

Did he do something to you?" Alec was full of brotherly concern. "Did he touch you? If he tried anything-"

No, Alec," Isabelle said irritably. "Not like that. He's a rat."

She's drunk," said Jace, beginning to turn away in disgust.

I'm not," Isabelle said indignantly. "Well, maybe a little, but that's not the point. The point is, Simon drank one of those blue drinks- I told him not to, but he didn't listen- and he turned into a rat.”

Cassandra Clare
“Is this Clarissa Fray?" The voice on the other end of the phone sounded familiar, though not immediately identifiable.
Clary twirled the phone cord nervously around her finger. "Yeees?"
"Hi, I'm one of the knife-carrying hooligans you met last night in Pandemonium? I"m afraid I made a bad impression and was hoping you'd give me a chance to make it up to-"
"SIMON!" Clary held the phone away from her ear as he cracked up laughing. "That is so not funny!"
"Sure it is. You just don't see the humor."
"Jerk." Clary sighed, leaning up against the wall.”

Cassandra Clare
“By the Angel," Jace said, looking the demon up and down. "I knew Greater Demons were meant to be ugly, but no one ever warned me about the smell."
Abbadon opened its mouth and hissed. Inside its mouth were two rows of jagged glass-sharp teeth.
"I'm not sure about this wind and howling darkness business," Jace went on, "smells more like landfill to me. You sure you're not from Staten Island?”

Cassandra Clare
“Even in half demon hunter clothes, Clary thought, he looked like the kind of boy who'd come over your house to pick you up for a date and be polite to your parents and nice to your pets.
Jace on the other hand, looked like the kind of boy who'd come over your house and burn it down just for kicks.”

Cassandra Clare
“Clary felt suddenly annoyed. "When the self-congratulatory part of the evening is over, maybe we could get back to saving my best friend from being exsanguinated to death?"
"Exsanguinated," said Jace, impressed. "That's a big word."
"And you're a big-"
"Tsk tsk," he interupted. "No swearing in church.”

Cassandra Clare
“That's why when major badasses greet each other in movies, they don't say anything, they just nod. The nod means, 'I' am a badass, and I recognize that you, too, are a badass,' but they don't say anything because they're Wolverine and Magneto and it would mess up their vibe to explain.”

Cassandra Clare
“If you knew how to cook, maybe I would eat," Jace muttered.

Isabelle froze, her spoon poised dangerously. "What did you say?"

Jace edged toward the fridge. "I said I'm going to look for a snack to eat."

That's what I thought you said." Isabelle turned her attention to the soup.”

09/09 "I love Jace!!" 8 comments
09/11 "I dreamt about this book all night long, this is how much I am obsessed. -.-" 3 comments
02/09 marked as: read

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-50 of 52) </span> <span class="smallText">(52 new)</span>

Wendy Darling Write a review if you want to...but I think you've expressed your enthusiasm pretty clearly. :)

Isabel Haha I should probably give myself some time to calm down anyway... so yeah I might, I might not.

Wendy Darling You're so lucky to have so many more books to look forward to! This is an addictive habit, my friend.

Isabel Are you referring to my extensive to-read list? What's the addictive habit? ;)

Isabel Oh yeah and Jace has made spot number one on my list of book crushes :D

Wendy Darling Reading this series is addictive--it will make you crazy, in a good way. ;) And I think you're going to have to fight off a lot of ladies to get to Jace! There's a spinoff series called The Infernal Devices set in the Victorian era, too, that you should read after you read the third book.

Btw, try not to read reviews of the next few books in TMI series. There are huge huge developments that you do NOT want spoiled, and a lot of people don't seem to use spoiler tags.

Isabel I know, it's addicting!! *waves hands around* But by your rating of CoB I thought you didn't enjoy it that much? But then again you seem like a pretty harsh grader. ;-) And I know, I was wondering what all the fuss over Jace was about but he's SO. HOT. (Ahem. Excuse me.) I know about the Clockwork Angel series, and I can't wait to read it!!

And thanks for the warning, I won't.

message 8: by Wendy Darling (last edited Sep 16, 2011 01:48PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Wendy Darling Oh, I liked them all--they're 3.5 or so for me. You'll notice that they're on my "crush-worthy boys" shelf. *clears throat*

I absolutely LOVE Clockwork Angel, though--that hit all the right buttons for me. But I'm a big fan of the Victorian era anyway, so I was already naturally inclined. I adore Tessa, the heroine in that, and unlike TMI (which to me isn't really a love triangle, bc you know who Clary wants to be with), there are two amazing boys to choose from. Just wait until you meet Will! And Jem. Not to show my bias or anything. ;)

Isabel Haha, of course they are. I'm excited to read TID, and I'm glad you loved it! Looks like Cassandra Clare is naturally good at writing stunning main characters. Can't wait to meet Will and Jem!!

Lilian dIDNT i TELL YOU IT WAS JUST A PERFECT BOOK AND THAT YOU HAD TO READ IT asap!?!!??!

Isabel LOL yeah you did. What can I say? YOU WERE RIGHT.

Lilian Yes I was....Very much...

When your like done with the series and you start Clockwork Angel,you'll laugh so much! Will is the ansestor of Jace,and oh lord,will you fall for him IN A SECOND! I sure did!!!!!!!!!!!! Like even when you first like read about him coming into the story its like YOU'VE KNOWN HIM FOR EVER!

Isabel Wow, I've never seen you use so many likes in so little sentences! Chill, girl! ;-)

But anyway, I fell for Jace right when when he said his first lines, most specifically this:

"Got you." (And he grins all over his face and shows his tattooed hands and AHH!!)

At that point I threw my head back and started cackling maniacally, as has become a habit of mine with these books.

Lilian James Patterson's books are HALARIOUS TO DIE FOR also...

But I love JACE in this series cause HIS so damn funny and HOT!!! I just imagie the movie that comes out next year... *drooling*

Isabel I'm scared about the movie! That guy is NOT... like how I imagined him! D:

Lilian You never know if its going to be like twilight that people were saying that robert patterson did NOT look like edward....NOW HIS LOVED BY EVER1...

Isabel Um... not by me. O.O

Lilian Well,the people tat read twilight LOVE HIM 2 DEATH

Lilian Ikr?? Mines also....BUT i have a couple ppl...

Isabel Hehe such nerds. :P AND PROUD OF IT TOO.

Lilian Ikr!?!?!?

Rosy Ⓛⓘⓛⓘⓐⓝ❣✿◕‿◕☯ஐ wrote: "Yes I was....Very much...

HE IS NOT!!! Jace is not will! and WILL IS NOT JACE!

Lilian They HAVE THE SAME HUMOR!!!!!!!!!

Rosy Cassie said so herself!!!!!

Isabel Tsk tsk, calm down children!

Lilian Well THEY HAVE THE SAME LAST NAME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Isabel I've also heard that he's Jace's ancestor.

Lilian RⓞSⓜ ⓔLY(◕_◕) ღ ツ❤ 。◕� wrote: "Cassie said so herself!!!!!"

HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TWO AGAINST 1!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rosy Yeah, but Cassandra Clare sent me and email saying the opposite

Lilian But they have the same last name ,wth

Rosy idc! The author has spoken

Isabel Hmm... are you guys talking about Jace's real last name or Wayland?

Rosy real last name

Isabel Then I don't know. I guess we should just go with what the author says.

Lilian Well were not saying his real last name,cause then we'll spoile it for you....: )

message 36: by Isabel (last edited Sep 18, 2011 04:21PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Isabel But I already read City of Bones! And I'm in the middle of City of Ashes! I thought it was Morgenstern...? (That's Valentine's last name, right?)

Olivia up i think. im on the city of fallen angels

Isabel Olivia: Oooh, is it good?? :)

Olivia i m waiting forit at the libary right now :( not allowed to buy books cuz i got in troble for spending 130 buck - i made my self in a day :( lol

Isabel Awwh. Well, I hope you like it! Some people say that the fourth book is a complete fail and others say it's amazing, so I'm hoping I'll love it too!! :)

Lilian lol...Im not spoiling for both of you...

Isabel -.- You'd better not.

Lilian Exacley :)

message 44: by Cindy (new) - added it

Cindy I think I will have to start this series soon! You have me very curious about this Jace guy:)

Rosy oy! He is the most sexiest man(character) on EARTH! (Books)

message 46: by Cindy (new) - added it

Cindy :P

Isabel Rosmely speaks the truth. :P Go read it!!

message 48: by Cindy (new) - added it

Cindy I will get to it very,very soon! Next I think:)

Isabel Oh my goodness!! So exciting!!

Megha Reading this right now, Izzy! ;-)

« previous 1