Jenelle's Reviews > Twilight

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

Mar 16, 2011

bookshelves: ya, vampires, werewolves

Every time I see that I gave this 5 stars I feel a little squeamish. I mean, what does that say about my credibility as an intelligent reader? I rated Twilight as high as Grapes of Wrath... how does that make any sense? Especially since admittedly, Twilight is certainly flawed.

What I've decided is that certain elements made it impossible for me not to love it. For one, the place. I'm from the NW, I had been through Forks on my way to the very beaches she describes, well before I read the book. It was already real to me.

Second, it was my high school. Not really, probably nothing like, but as I read, I always pictured it at my own small high school. I related to being so far from shopping and movies and restaurants.

And Edward. I knew someone very similar (except for the vampire part of course), and I could never figure out why someone like him would like someone like me. And just like Edward, he was insecure, and guilt-ridden, and depressed. But goodness, he was addicting. So, yeah, I identified with that stuff
too.

I'm always a little surprised when people talk about all the editing mistakes in this book, because I'm pretty alert to that kind of thing, but I honestly didnt notice any when I read it. I like to think it's because I was just so engrossed in the story that I didn't even pay attention. Yet even the story can be sloppy, so again, what does that say about my credibility as a reader? All I can figure is that it must have something to do with the fact that Stephenie Meyer and I both studied English at the same school, within a few years of each other, and we probably had a lot of the same classes, and even some same teachers. I've probably read a lot of what she's read, and learned a lot of what she learned. And because of this, I can fall right in step with some of her thought processes. That's my theory at least.

It's not until the last book that I seriously take issue with her writing and her appalling deviation from her English Lit background. So I guess that kind of redeems me a little bit, right?

So why did I give it 5 stars, and more importantly why am I keeping it that way? Because for me, this was innovative and engaging. I couldn't believe I liked a vampire book, but there it was. I hadnt cared about current fiction in years, let alone fantasy. I thought I could only like classics, that my tastes had become too refined. This book proved me wrong. Twilight humbled me.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Twilight.

Tracy Benner You know, that's one of the beauties of reading, isn't it?!? My boys have gotten me interested in fantasy . . . a genre that NEVER appealed to me, before! Kudos to you for reading outside your "normal" genres!