Huma Rashid's Reviews > How to Instantly Connect with Anyone: 96 All-New Little Tricks for Big Success in Relationships

How to Instantly Connect with Anyone by Leil Lowndes

Sep 16, 11

Read in September, 2011

The writing can be pretty cheesy. At times, it's so cheesy that it just took me out of the book completely. In the example at the beginning, for one thing, the professor says to her student, "Now, my dear student, what do you make of blah blah blah." ERGH. It's the perfect example of the tin-eared style of writing dialogue that I hate. Who talks like that?

So I took the book with a grain of salt, mostly because of stupid writing ticks like that one, that I feel most authors should know better than to write, and some of the things were ridiculous. Like, who could get away with going to a coffee shop and saying "Ciao, Bella" to the barista and calling her "bella" from then on but Steve Martin and Dan Akroyd when they're playing Two Wild and Crazy Guys? So the name schtick was pretty dumb and just smacked of cheesiness. But I did learn a lot of useful little tricks, especially how to extricate myself from awkward situations, and how to emotionally predict insecurities and the like when it comes to others. So for that, I'm glad I read this.

It was a very quick read, engaging without weighing too heavily and becoming cumbersome. Again, the writing style takes some getting used to, what with occasional cheesiness. But if you *think* you're the sort (the awkward, shy sort, like me) who would benefit from a book with a title like this ... well, you very well might be the sort who would.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Instantly Connect with Anyone.