Sam's Reviews > Insurgent

Insurgent by Veronica Roth

I have a message for the Divergent.
I am Divergent.
This is not a negotiation.
No, it is not.
It is a warning.
I understand.

Regardless of what you may think of Divergent by Veronica Roth, whether or not you are a fan, or even if you are sick and tired of dystopian books, there is no denying the fact that Veronica Roth made a huge splash in the world of young adult fiction with her debut novel. Divergent fast became one of my favourite books of all time, and its sequel, Insurgent, one of my most anticipated. And I assume the same applied for many other readers too. With so much buzz and excitement surrounding book 2, along with the speculation of whether or not it would be able to fill the large impression left by its predecessor, Insurgent sure had a lot of high expectations to live up to. Thankfully, it didn’t disappoint.

Veronica Roth is back with her second novel and proves she still has many tricks up her sleeve. As with several middle books in trilogies, there is always the risk of the plot being dragged out extensively so that the book ends up becoming more of a ‘filler’ than anything of great significance. At first, and occasionally during the middle, I was concerned Insurgent may have fallen victim to Middle Book Syndrome, but I was quickly proven wrong as Veronica Roth crafted a story more complex and rich in detail than Divergent. The characters were bigger and better than before, though not always admirable, and the plot as action-packed and intricate as ever.

The story takes a fascinating turn in this book and there is a lot to appreciate. Finding out more about the factions which were barely touched on in Divergent, including Amity and Candor, and even the Factionless, was something I valued greatly. The world-building in Divergent was remarkable, and Insurgent builds on that, adding to the captivating quality of Tris Prior’s world. As unpleasant and perilous as life has become for her, I couldn’t help but want to join her, to join her world, and experience it for myself.

When I first met Tris in Divergent, she rapidly developed into one of my favourite main characters. Her determination, fearlessness and real emotion made her the perfect heroine and I was eager to see how far her character had come in Insurgent. Things were definitely trickier for her in this book and her relationships with many people were put to the test. A distinct cloud of hopelessness surrounded her occasionally, and her thoughts and decisions became difficult to agree with, but she was, overall, a remarkable character to read about. In a strange sort of way, I was glad there were emotional obstacles for her to overcome on top of the obvious ones, as it transformed her by the end of the book and made her even better than she once had been.

Now, I’m sure I’m not alone when I say Four/Tobias Eaton was one of the main reasons I wanted to read this book. There really isn’t much this guy has to do now for me to still want him. In Divergent, he was a bold and strong character, and unbelievably easy to fall for, and in Insurgent we are able to dig deeper into his character to get a better grasp of ‘Tobias’ and know him as well as we know ‘Four’. It’s a pet peeve of mine when the author changes the name of a character halfway through a book and that was something I didn’t appreciate in Divergent and it wasn’t any different in Insurgent. Although he is predominantly referred to as ‘Tobias’, I couldn’t bring myself to call him anything other than ‘Four’. But anyway, trivial points aside, Four was just as astounding in this book as he was in the first. The romance between him and Tris was beautifully crafted. Although things were occasionally strained between them, I enjoyed reading about it and was whole-heartedly satisfied with some of the tension.

And speaking of tension, the ending of this book is a killer. Being a reader who more often than not despises the cruelty in being left to wait for some crucial answers, a cliff-hanger isn’t always welcomed with open arms. Surprisingly though, the ending of Insurgent filled me more with excitement than with frustration. The big revelation is an astounding one with very little, if any, signs of predictability. A whole new door is open for book 3 now and whichever route Veronica Roth decides to take it down, I am sure I will be waiting with bated breath to read it.

The bar is set high once again. Divergent was outstanding and Insurgent proved it could live up to the hype. That next and final book will be released in 2013 and I hope beyond hope that it brings the perfect closure to this remarkable series.

(This review also appears on my blog)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Insurgent.

Quotes Sam Liked

Veronica Roth
“We're all right, you know,' he says quietly. 'You and me. Okay?' My chest aches, and I nod. 'Nothing else is all right.' His whisper tickles my cheek. 'But we are.”

Veronica Roth
“Sleep,” he says. “I'll fight the bad dreams off if they come to get you.” “With what?” “My bare hands, obviously.”

Veronica Roth
“We both have war inside us. Sometimes it keeps us alive. Sometimes it threatens to destroy us.”

Veronica Roth
“It reminds me why I chose Dauntless in the first place: not because they are perfect, but because they are alive. Because they are free.”

Veronica Roth
“Cruelty does not make a person dishonest, the same way bravery does not make a person kind.”

“You look older.”

“Yes, well. The passage of time tends to do that to a person.”

Veronica Roth
“Like a wild animal, the truth is too powerful to remain caged.”

04/18/2012 page 1
0.0% "I guess this means I won't be doing much else today. ;)"
04/18/2012 page 102
19.0% 1 comment
show 3 hidden updates…

Nina Aaaah! So jealous! I want some Four, too :P

message 2: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam Soon! ;) I am ready to get back to him!

Nina Soon is not soon enough ;)

message 4: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam Haha, I know. Though it's May in 2 weeks! You'll get some more Four soonish. :D

Nina *sigh* Yeah, I think I'm gonna make it... probably ;)

message 6: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam Hang on in there. ;)

Eunice Lucky you! I'll be waiting for your review, Sam. :))

message 8: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam Thanks Eunice! I sure am lucky. ;)

Donna {Book Passion for Life} What do you think Sam? =)

message 10: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam (view spoiler)

Donna {Book Passion for Life} You should do! It was more the second part for me that was like WOW!! Lol

Aa'Ishah No way. No. Way!!

message 13: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam Aa'ishah wrote: "No way. No. Way!!"

:D

Donna {Book Passion for Life} wrote: "You should do! It was more the second part for me that was like WOW!! Lol"

Great! I hope it's the same for me. :)

message 14: by Mimi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mimi Valentine Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Oh my gosh, Sam, you're so lucky! <3 Please tell me that Four is just as awesome as in the first book! x)

Aly (Fantasy4eva) i can't wait for your review, sam!!

message 16: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam Aly (Fantasy4eva) wrote: "i can't wait for your review, sam!!"

Thanks Aly! :)

Mimi wrote: "Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Oh my gosh, Sam, you're so lucky! <3 Please tell me that Four is just as awesome as in the first book! x)"

Oh he is, Mimi. He is. ;)

message 17: by Best (new) - added it

Best I guess I'm one of the few who haven't read Divergent yet. I need to change that ASAP!

message 18: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam Definitely! Divergent was one of my favourite books from last year. :)

Aly (Fantasy4eva) so I love how we gave it the same rating :DD

yay for awesomeness!

message 20: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam We're both awesome like that. ;) I preferred Divergent so I couldn't quite give it a 5. I loved it though! :)

Carina Olsen Only four stars? How come? :)

message 22: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam It wasn't quite as great for me as Divergent and I gave Divergent 5 stars. I still really loved it though! I gave it a 4.5. ;)

Carina Olsen Ah ;) I'm hoping to love in more than Divergent :D But, yeah, 4.5 stars is good :D Can't wait to read your review of it :)

message 24: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam Thanks. I'm looking forward to talking about it with you! :)

Aly (Fantasy4eva) Funny since I loved this a little more than divergent. Although I do think Divergent was more action packed, with everything being introduced and her being with the faction she was with.

think this installment is much more about planning rather than beating up the bad guys and jumping off buildings and just overall being badass (although that does happen too! just not as much)

who was your fav character sam?

message 26: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam Oh you did? Interesting! And yeah I agree with that though now I am desperate for the next book! :)

Four has to be my favourite character. Though I guess I'm partial as I'm a little in love with him. ;)

message 27: by Rogier (new)

Rogier lol

Sophie Eeee I'm so excited! Who couldn't love Four? :)

Devyani Want . NOW :D

message 30: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam Sophie wrote: "Eeee I'm so excited! Who couldn't love Four? :)"

Right?! :D He is just amazing.

Dev, soooon!

message 31: by Zahra (new) - added it

Zahra Can't wait for your review! :D

message 32: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam Thanks Zahra!

Aly (Fantasy4eva) first of MAY is so closeeee. can't wait to review this!

message 34: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam Have you written something already? It took me ages as I kept starting over again! :D

message 35: by Zeebee (new) - added it

Zeebee Eeek! Awesome review Sam. :D

Aly (Fantasy4eva) yup. did the same day i finished it. just not polished it up. you're not alone. he'll always be four to me. omg that ending, right. ARGHHHHHH.

message 37: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam Aly (Fantasy4eva) wrote: "yup. did the same day i finished it. just not polished it up. you're not alone. he'll always be four to me. omg that ending, right. ARGHHHHHH."

I know! I didn't see it coming but now I am SO excited for the next book. :D Looking forward to your review!

Zeebee wrote: "Eeek! Awesome review Sam. :D"

Thanks! :)

message 38: by Mimi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mimi Valentine Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! These are the times when that's literally all I want to say to your reviews, Sam :') Total. Epic. Yay! <3

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

message 40: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam Mimi wrote: "Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! These are the times when that's literally all I want to say to your reviews, Sam :') Total. Epic. Yay! <3"

Hahaha! Thanks Mimi! :D

Kate wrote: "i admit i only skimmed your review sam because I dont want to ruin anything before i start this TOMORROW! I'm just so excited to see that you liked it. I'm excited, I hope I do too :)"

I hope you do too! I'll keep my fingers crossed that it meets your expectations. :)

message 41: by Em (new) - rated it 5 stars

Em I LOVE that quote! <3

message 42: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam So do I! :)

message 43: by ♥Rachel♥ (new)

♥Rachel♥ Awesome review Sam!! You told us enough to whet our appetite without giving anything away. I'm so excited for this, especially when you say the end is a cliffhanger but one that makes you eager for the next book, instead of frustrating you. :)

message 44: by Sonia (last edited May 02, 2012 01:45AM) (new) - added it

Sonia I really have to read Divergent soon! I'll read it right away after reading the library books and galleys (it can take a lot of time though...) Love your review ;-)

message 45: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam Sonia wrote: "I really have to read Divergent soon! I'll read it right away after reading the library books and galleys (it can take a lot of time though...) Love your review ;-)"

Haha, I know I have a ton to read too. I'll keep an eye out for when you start Divergent! Fingers crossed that you love it. :)

♥Rachel♥ wrote: "Awesome review Sam!! You told us enough to whet our appetite without giving anything away. I'm so excited for this, especially when you say the end is a cliffhanger but one that makes you eager fo..."

Thanks Rachel! I hope you will enjoy this too when you get to read it. :)

Trinity Great review, though I disagree with your thoughts about the ending. I saw that coming about 2/3 of the way through, when Marcus said something that made me think, "Oh, right. I see where this is going."

Sophie My copy just came at the library, so I will be reading this soon! I'm so excited, I just had to say it somewhere, heehee (:

message 48: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam Sophie wrote: "My copy just came at the library, so I will be reading this soon! I'm so excited, I just had to say it somewhere, heehee (:"

YAY! I hope you enjoy it Sophie. :)

Trinity wrote: "Great review, though I disagree with your thoughts about the ending. I saw that coming about 2/3 of the way through, when Marcus said something that made me think, "Oh, right. I see where this is g..."

I remember him mentioning it actually but I didn't guess!

message 49: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Sam! I can't look yet, I can't look! I will be back though to read your review! :) Looking forward to the gossip! I had to backtrack a bit and re-read Divergent first.

message 50: by Sam (last edited May 03, 2012 03:45PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam Laura wrote: "Sam! I can't look yet, I can't look! I will be back though to read your review! :) Looking forward to the gossip! I had to backtrack a bit and re-read Divergent first."

That's a good idea as there isn't much recapping in this book. I look forward to chatting when you're done! :D

« previous 1