Sara Diane's Reviews > The Bride Collector

Sep 16, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: 2011, reviewed
Read from September 13 to 16, 2011

** spoiler alert ** It had been a few years since I picked up some DekKer, so I snagged this one when I saw it at the library.

It's classic DekKer--thriller, spiritual elements, smart characters, and rambling plots that you let him get away with because he usually goes somewhere interesting with them.

It was good--but there were a few things that bothered me. First (and yes, this is silly, but it's so unlike him that it stands out), DekKer invents a rest stop along I-25 that isn't there. This stood out to me because he's SO SO SO good about getting all the other details of the area correct. He used to live in the area, so he knows it. He gets locations around Denver, Castle Rock, Parker and even the Springs right. So why does he throw this one in? The worst is that I think he just forgot where the rest stop is (it's south of CR, and it's been closed for at least 5 years). It really bothered me, as a reader who knows the area :P

Second, the main character, Brad, shifts his affections too quickly. (Spoiler) DekKer sets it up that Brad has feelings for one of his co-workers. He's starting to act on those. When something happens to this co-worker, we hardly see him grieve (just a quick, initial burst) and then WHAM, he's got a newer, stronger, deeper connection to another character. It felt awkward and silly.

Those were the biggest things--there were some minor things about the interpersonal workings, especially between the male and female characters. Maybe DekKer is portraying men accurately, but maybe not. He could use some schooling in how women think :P

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bride Collector.

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Sarah "Mir" The shifts in affections bugged me as well. It felt completely awkward and unrealistic. Also, I felt that it was ridiculous how fast he got over Nikki's death. That kept bothering me for the rest of the book.

Kelly I found his affections very confusing as well... I kept wondering if it was all an act to find out who the killer was..

Sara Diane Glad to know I wasn't the only one!