Tânia's Reviews > Insurgent

Insurgent by Veronica Roth

May 04, 12

bookshelves: dystopia, read-2012, ebook, tv-movie
Read in May, 2012

The right time to talk about a book is when it still simmers under my skin. For those who read the first book “Divergent”, remember the fearless Beatrice who does not take crap from anyone, refuses to be addressed as “little girl”, and reinvented herself using the Dauntless name Tris? And what about the alluring Tobias, the sexy initiate instructor whose nickname Four never fit too well in my head after that first revelation, and on second thought, it still doesn’t ring right, don’t know why. I think I expected a stronger and striking nickname, but I think it was just a manner of getting used to.

So, remember them.. yes?
Me too. I mean, it’s impossible to forget their journey through Divergent that had me reading until the wee hours. Imagine my surprise, or the more accurate word being shocked, when I excitedly started reading Insurgent expecting to reencounter my favorite characters and found two total strangers!

Instead, we have a whiny Tris that puts us through her misery during most part of a 525 pages long book! Yes, this new Tris annoyed me! What’s with all the drama? I understand that she was suffering from her loss… but I can’t help but think that the real Tris would never let herself be defeated. (Totally off topic: I’m having glimpses of Mockingjay, the third book in The Hunger Games trilogy.) And Four, I can’t say I’m very angry with him, but I am also not very impressed. There are some excellent scenes in which Four IS the Divergent Four. But other times it seems like the author is writing about a completely different character. He didn’t lose credit, but still… there was something missing about him.

I think it’s more than clear that this book doesn’t come near my love for Divergent, which still continues to be my favorite. With the first book’s storyline, I think the author could have made this sequel epic. But a worthy Divergent can’t complain much, because if not all, at least some of the aspects that made me fall in love with the story are still there. The adrenaline, brutal action scenes, suspense, tense and complex relationships, and the climate of war between factions gave greater intensity to the story. Oh, and the addictive pace that I read these type of books is almost dizzying, but it feels so damn good in the end! I had to put aside other books to give it my full attention, which only proves how much I like this trilogy.

Even so, this second book was disappointing, and the end just reinforced my feeling of… description
All in all, I liked Insurgent, but I expected more… Insurgence! Veronica Roth, please don’t ruin this trilogy. Bring on the next in 2013!

Favorite Quotes
Both of us watch the purification happen, and I wonder if he is thinking what I am: that it would be nice if life worked this way, stripping the dirt from our lives and sending us out into the world clean. But some dirt is destined to linger.

I think we cry to release the animal parts of us without losing our humanity. Because inside me is a beast that snarls, and growls, and strains toward freedom, toward Tobias, and, above all, toward life. And as hard as I try, I cannot kill it.

People, I have discovered, are layers and layers of secrets. You believe you know them, that you understand them, but their motives are always hidden from you, buried in their own hearts.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Insurgent.

05/02/2012 page 180
05/03/2012 page 307
58.0% 3 comments
05/04/2012 page 525
100.0% "Bleh... what a crappy end :S"
show 2 hidden updates…