Ariana's Reviews > Insurgent

Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Dec 13, 14

bookshelves: 2012, dystopia, series, movie-to-be
Read from May 01 to 06, 2012

3.5 Stars: I am not really sure of my feelings for this book.
- On the good side there was plenty of action and the concept at the ending of the book seems to be quite interesting. (view spoiler)
- On the bad side, parts of the action didn't make much sense. So much hiding in plain view, so much running away with no place to go, so many suicidal missions, so many broken promises, so many lies, so much mystery without a solid base… I guess you see where I’m headed… I thought it was a bit overdone.
But let’s take it step by step.
“Insurgent, he says. Noun. A person who acts in opposition to the established authority, who is not necessarily regarded as a belligerent.”

First the COVER – it is beautiful. I don’t care that it doesn’t have much to do with the story, as it has been design in the middle of the writing process, all I care is how lovely it is (as well as the cover for Divergent). I love it!

The CONCEPT:
Writers, when creating a world, have a great power over it and some of them are not afraid to use it. They are not afraid to put the characters through hell and back, they are not afraid to hurt them, and they are not afraid to kill.
They also have the power to make us care, which is the most powerful thing, because words can create and they can destroy as easily, and it's a great skill to do them both and still be loved by your readers.
Veronica Roth managed to do that pretty well.

The ACTION:
I loved the fact that we had a smooth transition between these 2 books, without a period of time when you need to fill in the blanks. It starts from the very moment Divergent ended, as we waited to see what was supposed to happen with the characters when they reached their destination.

On the bad side, parts of the action didn't make much sense. Tris was going through a rough time and she was getting into suicidal situations more than not. Also there were so many lies and secrets that I got tired to keep up with them. The suspense was there to keep you going, but after a few suicidal missions I couldn't care less about their shaken self esteem (and the fact that I knew I had still half of the book ahead made me worry even less).

THE CHARACTERS:
Veronica's characters are full of life and driven by passion and a strong sentiment of justice and truth. They are high on their highest and low on their lowest and they manage to bring all the emotions they feel to you.
It feels like an amusement park, because as much as it scares you, you still want another ride. The only problem is that too much dizziness can be a bit too much, and characters switching sides and lying all the time can get on your my nerves at times.

Tris:
I can't really put my head around some things. Like how weak Tris has become, and no, it is not that what she did in this book was because she was brave or strong, it was just because she was being reckless, and didn't care about anyone else but herself.. Yes, she was selfish, and I can't even say that this is a bad thing because, you see, that's how she thought of herself from the very beginning, that was how she became dauntless. I cared for the loss of her parents, but all the lies she had to tell Tobias were out of place. She didn’t need to do that other than adding some unnecessary tension between the two of them and to become a silly damsel in distress that he needed to save all over again. *sigh*

Tobias:
Tobias - was quite left out of this story. He only got to make some convenient appearances here and there, and his actions were so contradictory that I don't know what to think of him anymore. He seemed to have some secrets but were they revealed? I don't think so. There was nothing special about the things he didn't say to Tris, unless there is more to figure out in the next book.
“We both have war inside us. Sometimes it keeps us alive. Sometimes it threatens to destroy us.”

I liked them so much in the first book and in this one they made no sense as a couple, acting so strange, fighting only to make up again. It was crazy. I get that they had other things on their mind and the romance was not so important into the story, but their actions showed so little respect for each other and so many gaps in their relationship that it was really sad to 'watch'.

Other characters:
There were so many characters that appeared and disappeared that I didn't get to care much for them. Yes, we knew some most of them from the first book, but it was not like in the first book we got along on the caring side either. There were also many surprises regarding the loyalty of some of them; I should probably read these 2 books again and see if their personality/actions match all these changes or if they were random to simply make the story work.
(view spoiler)

THE ROMANCE:
If I liked the romance in the first book, I pretty much got sick of it in this book. How many times can they lie to each other, hide things and betray one another, without kissing and making up afterwards in a matter of minutes? Yes, they had their moments (some of them were really cute, others a bit funny), but after a while I started to wonder why did they care for each other, why didn't that love disappear between thousand of lies and mistrust?
“We're all right, you know,' he says quietly. 'You and me. Okay?' My chest aches, and I nod. 'Nothing else is all right.' His whisper tickles my cheek. 'But we are.”

.. Are you sure, Four?

All in one, this was an entertaining read, and the possibilities from here are endless. I can't wait to see what new adventures await our beloved characters and how things will end in the next and last book in this series.

Hopefully you will love this better, so if you liked the first one you should definitely give this one a try too.

Happy midnight reading!

This review can also be found at ReadingAfterMidnight.com
____________________________________________

Blog (EN) | Facebook | Twitter | Tumblr | Bloglovin' | Blog (RO)
____________________________________________

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Insurgent.

Quotes Ariana Liked

Veronica Roth
“No matter how long you train someone to be brave, you never know if they are or not until something real happens.”

Veronica Roth
“It reminds me why I chose Dauntless in the first place: not because they are perfect, but because they are alive. Because they are free.”

Veronica Roth
“And sometimes, if you want the truth, you have to demand it.”

Veronica Roth
“Cruelty does not make a person dishonest, the same way bravery does not make a person kind.”

Veronica Roth
“The truth has a way of changing people's plans.”

Veronica Roth
“My dear girl. I am his family. I am permanent. You are only temporary.”

“You look older.”

“Yes, well. The passage of time tends to do that to a person.”

Veronica Roth
“I have done bad things. I can't take them back, and they are part of who I am. Most of the time, they seem like the only thing I am.”

Veronica Roth
“Sleep,” he says. “I'll fight the bad dreams off if they come to get you.” “With what?” “My bare hands, obviously.”

Veronica Roth
“Got that gun?” Peter says to Tobias. “No,” says Tobias, “I figured I would shoot the bullets out of my nostrils, so I left it upstairs.”

“Be careful, though."
"Aren't I always?"
"No, I think the word for how you usually are is 'reckless.”

Veronica Roth
“People, I have discovered, are layers and layers of secrets. You believe you know them, that you understand them, but their motives are always hidden from you, buried in their own hearts. You will never know them, but sometimes you decide to trust them.”

Veronica Roth
“Sometimes,” he says, sliding his arm across my shoulders, “people just want to be happy, even if it’s not real.”

Veronica Roth
“I love Tris the Divergent, who makes decisions apart from faction loyalty, who isn’t some faction archetype. But the Tris who’s trying as hard as she can to destroy herself … I can’t love her.”
I want to scream. But not because I’m angry, because I’m afraid he’s right. My hands shake and I grab the hem of my shirt to steady them.
He touches his forehead to mine and closes his eyes. “I believe you’re still in there,” he says against my mouth. “Come back.”

Veronica Roth
“I’m not important. Everyone will do just fine without me,” I say.
“Who cares about everyone? What about me?”

Veronica Roth
“You die, I die too.” Tobias looks over his shoulder at me. “I asked you not to do this. You made your decision. These are the repercussions.”

Veronica Roth
“I pout my lower lip for a second, but then I grin as the pieces come together.
"That's why you like me!" I exclaim. "Because you're not very nice either! It makes so much more sense now.”

05/01/2012 page 1
0.0% "I couldn't wait for it to be released!!

Dear Four, you're all mine now.." 4 comments
05/01/2012
10.0% "Wow.. So many people reading it today ;))"
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lola Wow, great review. You explain some issues I also had with this book, like the fact that Tris was too reckless.

Simcsa I completely agree! It all seemed a little overdone, though I still had some fun with it. Amazing review, Ari. :)

Tessa Good for you. You noticed all those bad signs in time. I was too blinded by my love for this series to notice them, but not even a blinded fan can get over the catastrophe she created in Allegiant. Don't read it, just think about this book as an incomplete ending and move forward. It's like, with every new book she writes poorer and poorer.

Ariana Somehow I did like the last book. It is probably my favorite in the series, and that's funny now judging by how so many people are against it.

Tessa Really? It's full of plot holes and illogical conclusions @.@.

Ariana Sometimes I am illogical like that :)))

For me it seemed to make a lot more sense than any other book in this series, and I even started to understand the characters and care for them (which didn't quite happen before). And I loved the ending - or how it made me feel. Because I finally felt something towards this series and it fit quite well - after all that running around from the previous books.
.. And it seemed to have come full-circle, (view spoiler). I wanted to know more about how some things came to be (in the past, present and future) but that's always the case with trilogies for me, so I won't let it bug me much.

Shyanne I agree with you. Tris and Tobias fought throughout the whole book and made up in a matter of seconds. What bugged me more was Caleb. There was no full explanation on why he put faction before family.