Gina's Reviews > The Duke and I

The Duke and I by Julia Quinn

Apr 24, 08

bookshelves: historical-romance
Read in February, 2008

Oh, did I ever enjoy this one!

I thought it was great! I truly did! I liked the characters - their quick and witty repartee. Daphne was not a ditz in any way; witty, intelligent, strong in mind as well as body (you'll get that when you read it, LOL!). She broke through Simon's shell and I don't think anyone else could have. Simon - I felt bad for him. No child should ever be treated as he was. He grows up to be a very intelligent and well-spoken man, just as witty, and I liked his manner. He shouldn't have lied as he did to Daphne; he should have trusted her right off the bat with what had happened instead of her finding out as she did. A couple of actions scenes made the book even more interesting - especially when they concerned Daphne's brother, Anthony. I really liked how it came about, especially the ending. His reflection of his 'being scared to death of having children' reminded me of myself. And I was really happy he admitted it.

Hyacinth, the youngest of the family, is truly a wonder, what you read of her. As intelligent as she is now, I can't wait to see what she'll be like when she grows up.

And what we find out about Lady Whistledown in the epilogue has me wondering who she truly is. I can't wait to find out. This is truly a series I look forward to continuing.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Duke and I.