Jennifer's Reviews > The Incredible Book Eating Boy

The Incredible Book Eating Boy by Oliver Jeffers

Sep 16, 11

Read in September, 2011

“The Incredible Book Eating Boy” by Oliver Jeffers is a book about a boy that loved eating books because every time he would eat books he would get smarter and smarter. But then one day, he began to feel sick. So much information was in his brain that he body didn’t know how to function; he couldn’t talk properly, or figure out problems anymore. Then he decided what would happen if he just read a book instead of eating it. He began to get his talents and skills back and then he learned to love books in a different way by reading them constantly and everyone once an while taking a bite out of it for fun. Even though the story is very simple, this book is amazing.

By looking at the cover you can see that the title is represented in different fonts, and there is a picture of the boy in the left hand corner eating a pile of books. When you open and turned the pages it looks like a variety of different pages. You can see that the whole representation is a book but books have different looks to them on the inside including font and page color. There was also line paper mixed in there as well. The drawings of the characters were so neat because they looked silly but humorous. Some pages would show a picture on the whole page but then the next page would show the story into 4 sections like a comic book. There are no borders on the pages but depending on the size of the page pictures as the background can create the illusion of the boarder. For some reason there is an overall light to the pictures. You can see the shadows of the characters, the rooms are meant to be a little bit dark. I wondered why the author did that. At the end of the last few pages, when the boy began reading instead of eating the book, the author cut out the pages in the bottom right corner to show someone took a bite off the page. It made me think that maybe he wanted the reader to show that the boy is human. Even though people do not read books in the “real world”, this character is just like us, loving books so much that he could eat them but its best just to read them and gain knowledge so we can be smarter. Again, I don’ think I explain who well the pictures in this book are so wonderful. I love the little details and quirks that the author ensues. I like how you can see the font on the background pages as well.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Incredible Book Eating Boy.