planetkimi's Reviews > I Want One Thing: An Autobiography

I Want One Thing by Frances Horn

Apr 24, 08

bookshelves: autobiography, psychology, philosophy
Read in April, 2008

I discovered this book while reading Goddesses in Every Woman by Jean Shinoda Bolen. I don't recall what the exact reference was, but it was so intriguing to me that I hunted down a copy of the book to see what it was about!

I Want One Thing is a reflective autobiography by a woman whom among other amazing things, pursued a doctorate in psychology in her 70s.

Ironically, she discovered the "one thing" early in her life, yet wasn't able to consistently remain in the state of wanting one thing. She speaks of wanting the "one thing" as a practice, a state of mind that one has to consciously choose. The alternative is to let our possibly maladapted personalities run on autopilot, usually to no good result.

The mostly autobiographical first three quarters of the book were riveting. In the last quarter, she tries to draw together the concepts behind examples from her life. Parts of this last quarter get a bit murky and difficult to read.

Her ideas about a universal (and universally connected) self underlying artifacts of personality and experience dovetailed nicely with The Wisdom of the Enneagram, which I'm also currently reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Want One Thing.