Becca's Reviews > Deadly Silence

Deadly Silence by Lindsay McKenna

Sep 16, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: arc-s, books-read-in-2011, contemporary-romance, netgalley, military-police-romance, romance
Read in September, 2011

This story is about Casey a new forest ranger who meets a young traumatized girl named Megan. Megan takes an instant likely to Casey and bonds with her in a way no one has seen her do in two years. Megan's mother was murdered and her home was set on fire with her in it she escaped but hasn't spoken a word since, not even to her father Matt. Matt feels guilt for not being there when his wife was murdered and his house set a flame. He doesn't understand who would have done something like this and grieves over his mute daughter. Hope comes into his life in the form of Casey, when Casey is around Megan acts like a new person, and its not just Megan that forms a bond with Casey. But someone is still out there who doesn't want Matt to be happy and if Casey makes him happy Casey has got to go.

For me this book just didn't do it. It didn't really hold my attention at all. I found the characters thoughts to always be switching perspectives from the female lead Casey to the male lead Matt too often in a paragraph. I love having both perspectives but I like them to have their own sections with this story it would seem to randomly switch back and forth. I also felt that there were unnecessary adjectives to many of the things for example instead of just saying her eyes it was always her large steel gray eyes, thats not bad every once in awhile but I felt it was just used too much. Something else that was used too much were metaphors, for everything that happened in this story there was a metaphor to go along with it.

This story I think also would have been better if there was more suspense. Like if we didn't know who was out to get revenge on Matt and his family. The romance seemed forced and a little rushed, for me it was just too instant of a connection. While I think the idea behind this story is great and intriguing I just couldn't get into this story. The dialogue between the characters was just too open and I felt that the characters told everything about each other without actually getting to know people first. There were many characters who had PTSD and they all talked about it so non-chantly from people I know they don't really talk about their PTSD they aren't open about it because its a personal thing. I just found it strange how openly and non-emotionally they discussed things. While I am sure some will love this book it just wasn't for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadly Silence.