Dan's Reviews > A Dance with Dragons

A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

Jan 10, 12

bookshelves: fantasy
Read in September, 2011

After reading A Feast for Crows and finding many of my favorite characters were missing, I was really looking forward to this book (and again, I read it after it had already come out, so there was none of that "waiting for six years" nonsense). In many ways it was fulfilling: lots of Tyrion, for one thing, and we get to find out the fate of another character.

This book and its predecessor were supposed to be one, initially, and had to be split up due to length. That shows: I think that taken together quite a lot happens, but given the sheer number of pages together not nearly as much as in A Storm of Swords. That's probably silly quibbling on my part; things don't need to go to hell in every book.

And yet once again Dany sits on her ass not doing anything for an entire book. She was my favorite character in the first and third books, but in the second and fifth she just does nothing. None of that empowered female that takes matters into her own hand; just sitting around letting her world go to hell.

Dorne is still a sticking point with me. I'm trying to see where he's going with that storyline, but in many ways I just can't. The ending of this book makes me question whether or not I trust Martin; but then, whenever I've thought that (Jon leaving the Watch, Bran and Rickon dying) I've been proven wrong. So my trust stays, but cautiously. I'm definitely looking forward to what happens next.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Dance with Dragons.