Ashley Memory's Reviews > Sleeping with Patty Hearst

Sleeping with Patty Hearst by Mary Lambeth Moore

Sep 16, 11

Read in June, 2011

I was hooked the moment I read the first line of this exquisite book.

You were twelve and I was eleven when we sewed our fingers together. I clutched my hands behind my back while you threaded the needle, the thinnest you could find. You said I was being a baby. “We’ll be blood sisters,” you said.

As a child of the seventies, I could identify with the paradox presented by the themes of liberation and the ties of family. Yet Moore navigates the tricky emotional landscape with authority, compassion, and uncommon eloquence. Lily, the teenage protagonist, emerges as the strongest and most mature character in the story. I admired her loyalty to her sister and her desire to view her mother as sympathetically as she could. She overcomes the sting of heartbreak with courage and seems to ultimately recognize that she is responsible for her own happiness, which is a lesson for us all. I highly recommend this book and it will be one I will re-read many times.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sleeping with Patty Hearst.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Mary Moore I'm honored to have this nice review from the author of NAKED AND HUNGRY.
"Nice" isn't the right word ... this is really moving to me. You wrote a much better description than I could have written myself. Thanks so much!