papalbina's Reviews > The Sweet, Terrible, Glorious Year I Truly, Completely Lost It

The Sweet, Terrible, Glorious Year I Truly, Completely Lost It by Lisa Shanahan

Oct 10, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: in-english, aussie
Read from September 25 to October 10, 2011

3.5

I liked Gemma a lot, she was funny, witty, sometimes very mature and sometimes a child, very conscious of her wrongs and her prejudices and quite honest with herself in her inner dialogue, she was different of what I'm used in realistic YA.

I, of course, fell in love with Raven, what an interesting character, and suffered for him and his family.

The story was hilarious (the first visit to the Webster family and the moments previous to the wedding made me laugh like an episode of The Big Bang Theory only can) and sad, very sad. It's very realistic in every possible way, but (view spoiler)

It's a big pity I never read The Tempest by Shakespeare. I feel like I missed a lot in the book because of that.

In any case it's a good read, with every ingredient for a smile at the end. Even if it's a bit sour.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sweet, Terrible, Glorious Year I Truly, Completely Lost It.

09/25/2011 page 44
14.0% "webster family is hilariously crazy xDDDD"
show 1 hidden update…