John Kirk's Reviews > Pyramids

Pyramids by Terry Pratchett

Apr 02, 2015

bookshelves: discworld
Read in June, 2010

I first read this at school: I borrowed it from the library just before the summer holiday, and read it three times before I returned it. Later on I bought my own copy, and I think it's one of the best Discworld novels, although I've now read it so many times that I don't get as much enjoyment out of it as I used to. Mind you, it took me 12 years to understand a physics reference that had gone over my head before ("the Hertzsprung-Russell diagram"), so I can sometimes get new stuff out of a familiar text.

There's a good story, with the action-packed climax that Pratchett has moved away from in his later books. (Key lines: "The speed of night" in Mort, and "How about once?" in Pyramids.) I first read this after I'd been studying philosophy at school, and the "axiom testing range" is a very clever idea, although you need to be familiar with Zeno's paradoxes to properly appreciate it. I think the funniest line was: "The trouble with you, Ibid, is that you think you're the biggest bloody authority on everything!"

(Explanation for non-academics: if you quote reference books in footnotes, it gets a bit tedious to keep repeating the same title several times, so "ibid" basically means "ditto", i.e. the same book as before but a different page. That means you'll get lots of references like "Ibid, p79", which suggest that a particular person knows about several different topics. It's less common nowadays, with computer generated bibliographies, but it made sense in the 1980s when this book was written.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pyramids.