Melissa's Reviews > There Is No Me Without You: One Woman's Odyssey to Rescue Africa's Children

There Is No Me Without You by Melissa Fay Greene

Jan 17, 12

bookshelves: kindle, memoir-biography
Read from January 07 to 17, 2012

Powerfully written, There is No Me Without You, presents solid research, incomprehensible statistics and the more powerful prose of personal narratives and stories out of Ethiopia giving a face and depth the the HIV/AIDS crisis.

I cannot adequately express how moving and powerful this story was for me. The HIV/AIDS crisis, the cause of orphans and widows are all completely overwhelming and more often than not leave me feeling powerless and hopeless. Greene presents these overwhelming factors alongside the stories that exemplify hope and power in the lives of ordinary women and children. I cannot solve this crisis. But I don't need to sit back passively and watch it play out either.

A powerful read for any American, those well versed in the AIDS pandemic and those who have forgotten that is a pandemic. It reads easy, presents a number of views and a wealth of information and heart regarding our world.

"Adoption is good, but children, naturally, would prefer not to see their parents die." (page 25)

(I'm in full support of adoption, as is the author, she just makes the point that it's not THE answer and we, as a globabl community, ought to be seeking solutions which allow for more parents to live WITH their children, rather than solutions which only allow a few children to live.)

"She could see the nice young man he was born to be, but he was headed for an early grave. If powerlessness made vulnerable the girls of Ethiopia, hopelessness made vulnerable the boys." (page 105)

"You don't have to be a saint to rescure other people from suffering and death. You can just be an everyday, decent enough sort of regular person, nothing extraordinary, and yet turn lives around." (Location 7832 - Q&A with the author)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read There Is No Me Without You.