Kirstine's Reviews > Breakfast of Champions

Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut

Apr 12, 12

bookshelves: classics, own, reviewed
Read from April 08 to 11, 2012

I fear I have fallen irrevocably in love with Kurt Vonnegut's writing.

This books has one of the best ideas for a book ever, and it is perfectly executed. Few authors could ever get away with injecting themselves directly into the plot of a book, but Vonnegut does and succeeds. His talent is extraordinary.

I don't quite fathom how he can write about a world filled with so much junk, and avoid making it appear hopeless. I'm in awe, really. This book is a witty, satirical, yet devastatingly true description of society. Even now it still rings true.
And there's so much to learn from it. It seems like such a simple story, and it is easy to understand, but it is dipped in layers and layers of truths we don't want to face, about how our lives mostly evolve around... junk, really.

I love this book. I'll recommend it far and wide, and someday I know I'll hand it to my children and hope they understand it too.

Also, I really kind of wish some of Kilgore Trouts books were real. Especially the one Dwayne ends up reading. They sounded really rather brilliant.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breakfast of Champions.

message 1: by Kedar (new) - added it

Kedar Also, I really kind of wish some of Kilgore Trouts books were real.

If you haven't already seen this: Venus on the Half-Shell

Kirstine I hadn't! That is brilliant. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I'll have to see if I can get my hands on a copy - I have no doubt it'll be, if nothing else, an interesting book.

message 3: by J.P. (last edited May 09, 2012 05:45AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

J.P. Actually it was written by a science fiction writer named Philip Jose Farmer. But don't let that stop you, it's in Kurt Vonnegut's style. A hilarious read.

Kirstine Ah, yes, I noticed that. I think I prefer it not being one of Vonnegut's works, it's somehow fitting.
And I will go search for it! It can only be good - just look at that cover. Bliss.