Pang's Reviews > Tears of the Giraffe

Tears of the Giraffe by Alexander McCall Smith

Sep 16, 11

Read on September 15, 2011 — I own a copy

The story of Mma Ramotswe is getting better! I really enjoyed the book and the way the author chose to attack some morality questions. I felt strong sense of community was portrayed in the book, along with strong female characters--Mma Romotswe, Mma Makutsi (her asst detective/secretary), and Motholeli. Like how the American lady was touched when someone called her "sister." Or how Motholeli reflected on her good fortune of being adopted by Mr J.L.B. Metekoni:
[Mr Jameson] was a good man, who thought only about the orphans and their needs. At first, she had been unable to understand how there should be people like that. Why did people care for others, who were not even their family? She looked after her brother, but that was her duty.
The house mother had tried to explain it to her one day.
"We must look after other people," she had said. "Other people are our brothers and sisters. If they are unhappy, then we are unhappy. If they are hungry, then we are hungry. You see."

I was very thrilled when the author chose to have Mr J.L.B. Metekoni and Mma Ramotswe get together at the end of the first book. They were kind people who just love each other. Mma Ramotswe did deserve another chance to be loved, after her awful experience with Note, and who was a better man to take care of her than Mr Metekoni! And this time, the author thrilled me once more by having them adopted two orphanages. I can't wait to read about this new family!

The story remained quite simple, and these were simple, good people. They made you believe that there were not too many important things in life besides love and family; everything else was fluff.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tears of the Giraffe.