Hassaan's Reviews > Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell

bookshelves: fantasy, books-id-swap-real-life-with
Read from August 22 to September 02, 2012 — I own a copy

<*Review Incoming*>

Update (05/25/13):

Damn, I never got down to reviewing this, did I?

Instead, I give you:

THIS IS ONE OF THE GREATEST BOOKS I HAVE EVER READ. Period.

Update #2 (05/25/13):

Okay dammit, I need to give something more than that.

So, anyone who even remotely followed the development and subsequent attention this book got would know that readers of this book are quite divided in their praise (and lack thereof) of this book. There exist die hard fans (who would scratch every word of this book onto their skins with a rusty nail) and people who just couldn't get past how verbose the entire thing was (these people, I suspect, never could read anything by Austen, Dickens, or Gaiman. Or their metaphorical lovechild. Which is what Susanna Clarke is, by the way, in my opinion.)

I hope that's a bit more helpful. (Helpful is a really subjective term, here, since, technically, this entire "review" is a load of crock, as a review.)

Truth time: I've read a lot since I finished the book, so I don't recall enough specifics to write a proper review. I do remember feelings, which include: overwhelming satisfaction, overwhelming emotions, overwhelming desire to feast of Clarke's brains and assimilate her ability, overwhelming desire to re-read the book this year. Of those two desires, I suspect the latter to be more realisable, more palatable and ultimately more enjoyable. (I should really stop rambling and wasting GR's server space.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.

08/22/2012