mairywo's Reviews > The Power of Darkness: Tales of Terror

F_50x66
Sep 16, 11

bookshelves: fiction, short, stories, horror, ghosts, 2008, office, shelf, 3-4
Read in April, 2008

A collection of 20 ghost stories by an author best known for her childrens' books. Some are scary, some are dark, some are just plain weird. Most are about men and what happens to them when they don't act according to some sort of „norm“. As we learn in the introduction Nesbit had to share her husband with another woman and even raised her child. She did so without complaining, but I believe her unhappiness comes through in her ghost stories where she punishes men whether they have done something wrong or not. Today the stories don't seem that scary anymore because similar stories have been written since then, but in her time they must have been quite unique, especially written by a women.[return]There are stories about zombies, haunted houses, ghosts and vampiric vines among many others.[return]All in all, it's a very good and interesting collection and I like the short story format. It warns you on the cover not to read them before going to bed, and some may haunt you. I read one story every day on the train and it was the perfect book for that. I'd recommend it to everyone who loves a good ghost story although it sometimes shows its age.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Power of Darkness.