Evelyn's Reviews > The Iron Thorn

The Iron Thorn by Caitlin Kittredge

I first picked this book up because I loved the cover art, I didn't know it was a steampunk novel and I had never read one before (I was only vaguely aware of what 'steampunk' actually meant before) and I thought it was pretty neat! I like the whole mix of Victoria era and science-fiction. The novel was about a girl named Aoife (I actually know a girl named this so I do know how to pronounce it haha its EE-fah) who lives in a world that is effected by a disease called necrovirus that essentially turns people into monsters and zombies. Her fate is supposedly determined for her because her mother and brother both turned mad from the necrovirus at 16 and her birthday is approaching very soon. Aoife receives secret messages from her brother, Conrad, who she still believes is alive and isn't crazy. She sets out to find him because she thinks he is the only answer to her looming madness.

She goes off to find her brother with Cal, her best friend who was well written and pretty consistent (well, until the end…) and ends up with a ‘guide’ named Dean. He is completely awesome and bad ass and I am so glad their relationship develops slow and realistically unlike so many YA novels. It was interesting too, going back and forth between Cal. I couldn’t tell if he liked her or not throughout the book.
Also the dialogue was really well written and unique. Especially in the Nightfall Market. “She’s got an edge of the pale on her, that one, and its like honey to a beehive down here”. Haha love it!
The ending took me completely by surprise! Pretty much everything from page 421 until the end I could have never guessed would happen and I really love books like that.

Now for the bad part…yes I only gave it 3 stars (i liked it) because there were quite a few things that I didn’t like. First I found all the travelling, from Lovecraft to Greystone and everything in between quite confusing. Even with the map provided! I couldn’t tell how far things were and it seemed like the author provided the map so she wouldn’t have to explain it in detail but I would have actually appreciated it.

Also there were SO MANY metaphors that were so bad riddled throughout the book. Like comparing your boots to hands around your calves?
And also why was Aoife allowed to visit her mother? Wouldn’t she be in risk of contamination? I mean of course, some people knew the truth about the necrovirus but those that didn’t would probably think it was weird that she was in close proximity to her mom all the time…?

That being said, I am definitely going to read the rest of this series
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron Thorn.

10/30/2011 page 35