Cynthia's Reviews > The Merchant of Death

The Merchant of Death by D.J. MacHale

Nov 20, 11

bookshelves: young-adult, books-i-read-for-andy
Read from September 15 to 16, 2011, read count: 1

Bobby Pendragon is your everyday jock and a character I would normally roll my eyes at having to read as the main character in a novel. I'm a sucker for the underdog heroics, but nonetheless this is not what the book is about. Bobby lives life on the other side and has everything he could ever want but is suddenly given this power and responsibility that results in him losing everything he's ever known.

What salvaged this book for me was how MacHale painted Pendragon as a real life human being, one who has doubts in his own ability, has fears, and shucks off responsibility in hopes of having a normal life. The fact that Pendragon freely admits to his faults is what sold me into the book and really let me appreciate Pendragon's growth and allowed me to freely immerse myself into the story.

It is true that story is an everyday run-of-the-mill kind we are fed everyday but who cares? MacHale writes the story well and gets you to care for the characters. I'm not one to divulge into Young Adult/Sci-Fi genres very often but this break from heavy hitting stuff was what I needed and MacHale delivered.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Merchant of Death.

09/15/2011 page 104