Reading Teen's Reviews > Beautiful Days

Beautiful Days by Anna Godbersen

Sep 28, 11

Read from September 15 to 28, 2011

There is something absolutely amazing and fascinating about this series. I've never read a book where I felt so completely lost in another time period before. Anna Godbersen doesn't just write about the 1920's, her words are actually dripping with the 1920's. As I mentioned in my review of Bright Young Things last year, I'm not a very visual person. But, somehow Anna makes me able to see every last detail of her story. I can picture the grandiose houses, the gorgeous dresses, the speakeasy that Cordelia and Charlie build, and the view from Max Darby's airplane, like I am actually there. And reading this book makes me want to be there.

While Bright Young things was about these girls trying to find their place in The Big City, Beautiful Days is more about them trying to find themselves. They have gotten so wrapped up in the lazy, self-centered, glamorous life of a boot-legger's daughter/friend, that they've forgotten who they are, and who they want to be. Astrid has become obsessed with being the perfect wife, Cordelia can't get her mind off a certain distraction in the form of Max Darby, and Letty has seemingly abandoned her dream of being a star. But as the girls try to find their way again, they make some decisions that may come back to haunt them in the end. I can't help but be constantly reminded of the tagline in Bright Young Things, "One would be famous, one would be married, and one would be dead." As I grow closer to these girls, and their stories, I am eager to find out what happens to them, but I'm dreading that ending. And my mind keeps changing about which girl will achieve which outcome.

I seriously love everything about this series. From the time period to the mystery, from the heartbreak to the glamor, this book has me entranced! The dialogue has me enraptured, the romance has my heart pounding, and the storyline and plot twists are constantly making me guess at what will happen next. I can't bring myself to pick up another book yet, because I just don't want to leave these girls behind.

If you enjoyed Bright Young Things, you will not be disappointed with Beautiful Days. If you haven't picked up this series yet, I can't recommend it enough. Go out and grab Bright Young Things get lost in the roaring twenties like I have!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beautiful Days.