Claudia's Reviews > Free Voluntary Reading

Free Voluntary Reading by Stephen D. Krashen

Sep 15, 2011

bookshelves: 2011-book-challenge-150-books, can-t-live-without-em, professional-reading
Read from September 15 to 16, 2011

Stephen Krashen has never been inside my classroom, but his work has informed everything that happens there.His earlier book POWER OF READING gave me much of the ammunition I use when critics tell me my class is just a blow-off, that a class called READING FOR PLEASURE certainly is nothing but a glorified study hall.

This compact book is a collection of essays, carefully documenting many of Dr. Krashen's passions: free voluntary reading, access to libraries, the effects of poverty on students' ability to learn to read, language acquisition, problems with Accelerated Reading programs, and problems with phonics instruction as the sole way to teach beginners to read.

Quotes galore that will find their way into my research and presentations. Ammunition to critics, and research that will soothe students, their parents, and my own administration.

Free, voluntary reading works. It not only helps students develop the inclination to become life-long readers, it improves grades in English classes, it improves performance on standardized tests. We must, as Dr. Krashen encourages us, we MUST trust kids' choices of reading material, and their willingness to participate in reading when they have some control.

The only place I wander away from his strong message is that I DO have students write to me after they read...but I want them to write as if they're talking to a friend. REAL readers are very social and love to talk about their books. I feel like I have to teach most of my students how to talk about books. I know why this is a component of my class, and I feel ok with it...And, to be honest, I LOVE to read what my students are reading and what they think about books. I'd hate to lose that connection.

"Evidence id overwhelming that reading for pleasure -- that is, self-selected recreational reading -- is the major source of our ability to read, to write with an acceptable writing style, to develop vocabulary and spelling abilities, and to handle complex grammatical constructions." In other words: READ!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Free Voluntary Reading.

09/15/2011 page 40
44.0% "Strong research for my class. Thank you, Dr. Krshen!"

message 1: by Azar (new)

Azar Panahi I try to study his earlier book power of reading .