Jacob's Reviews > The Collected Stories

The Collected Stories by Evan S. Connell

Apr 13, 12

bookshelves: i-own, short-fiction, 2012, connell-coover-and-co
Read from March 17 to April 13, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Collected Stories.

03/17/2012 page 32
5.0% "Here we go. I've been rushing through books rather quickly lately, and I'm ahead in my 2012 reading challenge (although I can't help but wonder why I'm bothering with it at all), so I thought it would be nice to slow down and read a longer story collection. This one was a good choice. "Arcturus" is a brilliant story; Connell's prose makes me want to roll around in ecstasy. Oh my." 2 comments
03/18/2012 page 48
7.0% "Ecstasy, I tell you!"
03/22/2012 page 97
14.0% "Hey, a "Mrs. Bridge" story. I should really read that (and Mr. Bridge) sometime soon..." 6 comments
03/28/2012 page 245
36.0% ""Angus was not only a poet, which meant he had no money; he was a poet's poet, which meant he would never have any money.""
03/30/2012 page 263
39.0% ""Apartments in Paris sometimes explode, even so they are better than hotel rooms.""
04/08/2012 page 501
74.0% ""Our childhood came and went before we were ready to grasp it. Things were different now. The winged seeds that gyrate down from the trees now mean nothing else but that we must sweep them from the automobile hood because stains on the finish lower the trade-in value.""
04/10/2012 page 536
79.0% "From "The Anatomy Lesson": He continued that woman was like the turtle, born to lie in the sun and sometimes be turned over.... "Below head is neck. Below neck is breast. You are afraid of this word. Why? Is God's word."... "Is good to be proud of body. Yes! This is true!...No scent on earth is as putrid as shame. Good students, do not fear to be proud..." Ah! So many good lines! So much ecstasy!"
show 2 hidden updates…