Leslie (Working for the Mandroid)'s Reviews > Warm Bodies

Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion

2204710
Oct 03, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, fiction, own, post-apocalyptic, romance, zombies
Read from September 15 to October 02, 2011

Read the full review at Working for the Mandroid

This book is bizarre. The concept of it shouldn’t work and yet somehow it does. Marion manages to return some sort of humanity back to the zombie lit cannon, which seems wrong on so many levels. Our protagonist, simply known as R, is likeable even when he’s eating people. The story is told from his first-person point-of-view, which means there’s a fair amount of philosophical wonderings on the meaning of life and what went wrong in the world to cause the devastation that surrounds him. Despite having lost everything, he’s still compelled to keep moving on by the virus that has taken over his being.

Honestly after the first chapter, I had no idea where this story would take me and the suspense in its short 250 pages never stopped. When I’d feel I had a handle on how the rest of the book would go, it surprised me yet again. Yes, there are a few ideas that called for an even farther suspension of disbelief than already required for a tale about a bunch of zombies. Once or twice these occasions were jarring enough to make me wonder why the author made the literary decisions he did, but he always managed to keep the pacing steady and the characters realistic (or at least as realistic as things in this situation can be). For the most part, the characters’ decisions made sense and the relationships being built seemed authentic and fit well within the whimsical nature of the story.

Marion tells an epic story on a small scale, somehow fitting so much into such a short book. I think that’s what allowed it to work as well as it did – had he dwelled on more of the philosophical issues and the small things happening beyond the R’s immediate point of view, everything would have become more repetitive. I did still have a bundle of questions by the end that had gone unanswered, but they weren’t entirely pertinent to the storytelling at hand. By the end, I didn’t even really feel like I was reading a book about zombies, since that aspect of the character seemed secondary in comparison to the person.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Warm Bodies.

09/20/2011 page 36
15.0% "This moved much faster than expected."
09/26/2011 page 104
43.0% "This is not what I was expecting."
09/29/2011 page 136
56.0% "I really did not see the plot of this book coming."
09/30/2011 page 182
76.0% "Had a hard time putting this down last night"