Tanya's Reviews > The Silent Governess

Sep 18, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: fiction, gothic, historical, read-2011, romance
Read from September 15 to 18, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I wanted to like this book more than I really did. I have a soft spot for some gothic romance particularly those written by Madeleine Brent and Victoria Holt.

It took me part way through reading this why it wasn't working for me in the way these other authors do, and that is the story moved from 1st person to 3rd person. I like my gothic books in 1st person and only from that person's point of view. This has too many plots going on and too many points of view. It may have worked better in first person with only Olivia's perspective. The book has some great potential and it just never panned out the way I had hoped it would.

Where peerage laws in England that strict? I don't know something for me to research when it seems there is president for illegitimate children to inherit. Also could not Edward have been formally adopted through an attorney? This is the 2nd book that I have read that seems to struggle with that issue and since I haven't researched the laws myself it seems to be an easy out in creating a plot line.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Silent Governess.