Becky's Reviews > Ogre, Ogre

Ogre, Ogre by Piers Anthony

Mar 18, 2016

liked it
bookshelves: rainy-day-light-but-enjoyable, fantasy, from-my-youth, physical-library-read
Read in January, 2011

As a woman, sometimes I shudder when I read Anthony’s female characters. I don’t know if he is sexist, or just awful at writing women. Sometimes writing the opposite sex can be hard. I read women author’s that really can’t handle writing men, hell sometimes they can’t write their own sex. The point is, I don’t know about Anthony’s deal is. He did seem to get better in Xanth as the series went on, but this is one of the first books so be ready for fully voluptuous but somewhat dimwitted and cardboard-like female characters.

I don’t let that bother me though. I still enjoy the Xanth books. They’re brain vacations; they’re fun, quick reads. I enjoy them almost as much now as I did when I was a kid, though I certainly appreciate them much more for what they actually are- campy high-fantasy romps.

Ogre Ogre is a fun one. I don’t feel that monsters get the attention or love they deserve at all. Its nice to see an ogre in a glorified position

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ogre, Ogre.

03/18/2016 marked as: read