Lia's Reviews > American Individualism: How a New Generation of Conservatives Can Save the Republican Party

American Individualism by Margaret Hoover

Sep 18, 11

Read from September 15 to 18, 2011

I was interested to see how this work proposed to make the GOP appealing to my generation. The answer was to de-emphasize social issues (i.e. gay marriage, abortion) and focus on fiscal responsibility. Which is fine- interesting even. I was all ready to be impressed with the practicality of this approach (even though her writing is pretty junky and her arguments often de-rail into nonsensical tangents)until the chapter on feminism. Her weirdly myopic view of gender relations makes you wonder if she's just stubborn, or is in fact, unable to make a truly 'conservative' argument in favor of feminism and so disregards the problem entirely. After that chapter I became disillusioned with the book and ended up quitting reading about 60% of the way through. Unfortunately for the book she's not a theorist and she can't seem to rise above an elevator-speech level of complexity in her discourse.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Individualism.

09/15/2011 page 145