PJ Swanwick's Reviews > The Fourth Awakening

The Fourth Awakening by Rod Pennington

Sep 15, 11

bookshelves: new-age, spiritual, favorites
Read in September, 2011

New age thriller captivates the imagination, despite a weak villain

"The Fourth Awakening" crackles with tension, right up to the end--where, unfortunately, the lack of a credible villain unravels the tightly woven story. However, the strong writing and spiritual depth are more than enough to make the novel an entertaining and enlightening read.

Story: A reporter gets to cover a story so sensitive that the President of the United States personally asked the Washington Post to leave it alone. With rumors of 30 top scientists missing and rich industrialist being held in a prison typically used for terrorists, the story is too big to ignore. On one level it is a straightforward suspense story with plenty of action, a healthy dose of humor and a pinch of sexual tension. On another it is a spiritual quest by a remarkable woman who meets an enlightened man the likes of which have never been seen in fiction before. (Description from Amazon.com)

Spiritual/metaphysical content: High. Penelope is on the path to to enlightenment via yoga and meditation and practices the Law of Attraction. When she meets Michael, she learns that thoughts have power. "Thought is thought. There is no good or evil. . . . Emotionally charged negative thoughts tend to be more strongly felt than positive ones. You run the risk of manifesting something that you really don't intend."

The story gets interesting when the authors introduce the idea of the Fourth Awakening: The number of individuals who can reach a state of non-symbolic thought (aka enlightenment) has reached critical mass. The book likens this state to the Internet--a giant field of energy, full of information, open to anyone who has the right connection.

My take: I enjoyed the novel as a new age thriller. The quick-paced plot keeps you turning pages as the stakes grow higher and the fate of the human race is in peril. Penelope's character is well drawn and entirely believable. The rationale explaining the Fourth Awakening is fascinating. I devoured the first two-thirds of this novel in one sitting, reluctant to put it down. Unfortunately, a good thriller requires a significant threat, and that's where the book fell apart for me. The authors ran into the basic problem that confronts every metaphysical writer: How to you spin positive development in a negative way in order to manufacture believable conflict?

In my opinion, Pennington and Martin handled that specific problem more gracefully than James Redfield did in his Celestine Prophecy books. It's a difficult problem to overcome. However, the book succeeded as an entertaining thriller even though the "villain" fell short for me. The book was well written, fast paced, and well crafted. Their spiritual principles are sound, and I look forward to seeing where the series will lead.

For more reviews of spiritual/metaphysical novels, see Fiction For A New Age.
3 likes • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fourth Awakening.