Linda's Reviews > Backup Plan, The

Backup Plan, The by Sherryl Woods

Jun 04, 15

bookshelves: from-library, audio-book
Read from September 15 to 21, 2011

** spoiler alert ** This was my first full audio book experience, I never made it through the others I tried for Nora Roberts and Mary Balogh. I think it was because I'd actually read the books so the narrator's attempt at voices didn't match the way the characters sounded in my head.

I thought trying an author I'd never read might work better. This book by Sherryl Woods is the first of a trilogy set in Charleston, SC. I'm fortunate enough to have a dear friend from there and I've been to that beautiful city. The people there have a very distinctive accent that is hard to duplicate, the narrator of this book fails miserably at it leaving us with simply a generic southern accent for the characters who've never left Charleston.

I was figuring on two stars until we reached the last CD that includes the epilogue. The author veers from simplistic story telling with poorly drawn characters to the ludicrous. I've worked in broadcasting and it's unbelievable that Dinah would decide to go back to the War Zone for closure--disrupting and endangering people already there until the last minute when she blithely decides, "Never mind." calling off her trip back to Afghanistan. Seriously?

We have a silly accident that leaves our hero at death's door. He recovers and then we're left to believe that Dinah gets a job in local TV (I doubt it after dumping a network gig twice) and is so caught up in it that she nearly misses her wedding to a man she wouldn't go to Afghanistan for. I doubt her very proper Mother would have allowed that to happen at all and if she was asleep at the switch the devoted and cliche ridden housekeeper wouldn't have allowed it.

Glad to see the end of this one and won't be sampling any more of this author. Moving on to someone else new.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Backup Plan, The.

09/15/2011 "I'm on the 4th CD."
09/16/2011 "I'm on the 5th CD."
09/19/2011 "I'm on the 7th CD."
09/20/2011 "I'm on the 8th CD."
09/21/2011 "I'm on the 9th CD."

Dawn Didn't the motorcycle drive you crazy? Talk about ridiculous! Totally unnecessary and stupid part to add to the ending!

Linda Dawn wrote: "Didn't the motorcycle drive you crazy? Talk about ridiculous! Totally unnecessary and stupid part to add to the ending!"

Thanks for commenting and glad I wasn't the only one who wanted to throw the whole case of CD's across the room.