Jenn (Booksessed)'s Reviews > Mistress Shakespeare

Mistress Shakespeare by Karen Harper

Nov 29, 11

bookshelves: arcs-i-want-finished-copies-of
Read in November, 2011

I loved this title and I normally hate cheating in books. This book made me root for Shakespeare and Anne Whateley to end up together, even though you know they probably won’t. The feelings I got when I read this book were similar to the feelings you get when you watch The Notebook or Titanic.

The novel tells of their childhood friendship that blossomed to love. They plan to marry in secret because their parents would not approve the match and then the monkey wrench of another woman pregnant kills everyone’s dreams.

It was such a sad story, but not only did I love this as a possible theory, I love the idea that Anne Whateley could have been Shakespeare’s muse and that his great works were inspired by his unending love for her. (Plus, Anne Hathaway is portrayed as quite the shrew; doesn’t help with getting me on her side.)

I just wanted to root for them every time there were together because they clearly belonged together, each line of a sonnet or play that they weren’t on together was more romantic and more magical, and each absence more heartbreaking. I could not put this book down.

There were some great plot twists, including a couple scenes with Shakespeare’s brother and even his daughter by Anne Hathaway. There is even a letter from his father to Anne Whaeley that brought me to tears. This book made me fall in love with Shakespeare all over again, and it’s historical fiction like this is why I’m in love with words. I would suggest this book to everyone, but don’t forget the tissues.

I will be checking out more from this author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mistress Shakespeare.