Aly (Fantasy4eva)'s Reviews > The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith

Nov 11, 11

bookshelves: crushing-on-the-cover, fast-paced-and-engrossing, conflicted-thoughts
Read on October 26, 2011

THE STATISTICAL PROBABILITY OF LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT, is a cute, fluffy fast read. It's short, sweet, bitter - all lovingly packaged into one.

Hadley is headed to her fathers wedding, but when she misses her flight, she finds herself face to face with gangly, shy, sweet Oliver, who offers to help with her suitcase. At that moment, she feels a familiar flutter at the pit of her stomach. And when their lock eyes, for some reason, she doesn't like the thought of them going their separate ways. As they make their way into the plane, the two find themselves starting to open up more, tease one another and blush furiously than just the one time when the other finds themselves sitting a little too close, or brushing shoulders. I may not believe in love at first sight, but for some reason, I was able to watch this particular love story unfold without doubt or weariness.

It all started when Hadley' father received an opportunity to work at Oxford for a few months, the only problem? He never returned. And soon enough, her parents were having a divorce. She watched on as her mother fell apart. Hadley, without thought, took on the instant role of carer and kept them both together. But suddenly, one day, her mother wakes up a changed person. Fresh and at one with herself. But Hadley' pain is just beginning. And she's found herself angry ever since.

I didn't appreciate her mother forcing her to go to her father' wedding. No matter how much she may regret it in the future, it annoyed me that her mother expected her to see her father when she had every right to back off. I felt like that was her call to make. Hadley' father *sighs* I don't know. It's fluff, after all, so it was obvious that our protagonist was going to soften up to him. It didn't mean that I had to like it though. If it was me? I couldn't do it. I couldn't forgive a man who had upped and left me and my mother. For me, that would have been the end of it. I know people deal with these issues differently, but I hated how she warmed to him and his new life.

For some reason, the book struck a nerve with me. I found myself furious at the prospect of Hadley forgiving her father. I was so angry, that I was actually shocked at myself. I have no idea where it came from, but it lingered until the very end.

Being the way I am, I wanted the man to suffer a bit more before she even considered forgiving him. I mean, was he even sorry? I doubt it. It annoys me that he didn't even attempt to make up for what he did. As if Hadley coming to his wedding was supposed to make things magically ok.

But there are some truly beautiful moments in this book. Those sweet, endearing moments that Hadley shares with Oliver. Two characters, that I instantly knew I would like. It's been a while since I've effortlessly found myself warming to the protagonist and the love interest, it's a lovely feeling :) Then there are the moments where she is hurting so much, and reminiscing about the moments she still lingers on to, in a time where her father was very much a strong presence in her and her mothers life. And these are the moments that make the book more worthwhile and give it more of an edge. For those few moments, lies a book where it's not just all fluff, but very much ache-y. I think that's what I wanted for the book as a whole. For it to be a little more grittier.

Had it been, it would have been a 4 star read for me, without a doubt. Instead, I felt like the father got it way too easy, and it ended a little too perfectly. And that's what bothered me.

Is it predictable, yes. But if you want something funny, amusing and sweet to settle into, I'd definitely recommend this book.

Memorable quotes

To her surprise, he lowers his face so it's level with hers, then narrows his eyes and touches a finger lightly to her cheek. 'Eyelash,' he says, rubbing his thumb to get rid of it. 'What about my wish?' 'I made it for you,' he says with a smile so crooked it makes her heart dip. Is it possible she's only known him for ten hours?

For a long time they just stay there like that, as still as the statues in the garden. And when he gives her no sign - no gesture of welcome, no indication of need - Hadley swallows hard and comes to a decision. But just as she turns to walk away, she hears him behind her, the word like the opening of some door, like an ending and a beginning, like a wish. 'Wait,' he says, and so she does.

He looks at her and smiles. 'You're sort of dangerous, you know?' She stares at him. 'Me?' 'Yeah,' he says, sitting back. 'I'm way too honest with with you.'

The rain begins to fall as they stand there, a sideways drizzle that settles over them lightly. When she lifts her chin again, Hadley sees a drop land on top of Oliver's forehead and then slip down to the end of his nose, and without thinking, she moves her hand from his shoulders to wipe it away.

She shifts from one foot to the other, her heels sinking into the soft dirt. 'I should go,' she says, but her eyes say I'm trying, and her hands, trembling in an effort not to reach out, say Please. 'Right,' he says. 'Me too.' Neither of them moves, and Hadley realises she's holding her breath. Ask me to stay.

As he turns to cross the garden, Hadley's stomach churns. She closes her eyes against the flood of words that never reached her, all those things left unsaid. And when she opens them again, he's gone.

But now, standing here in the basement of a church with shaking hands and a hammering heart, she's struck by what this day actually means, by all that she'll lose and gain with it, by how much has already changed. And something inside her begins to hurt.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight.

Comments (showing 1-9)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Wendy Darling This sounds adorable!

Aly (Fantasy4eva) Wendy Darling wrote: "This sounds adorable!"

It is! I can imagine many loving this. It's fast paced, engrossing and a sweet read. Probably not my kind of book since it's a bit too fluffy for me, but I did enjoy it :)

Jasprit great review aly! i'm super jealous you got a copy already! and those quotes are just so beautiful i need this book now :)

Aly (Fantasy4eva) Jasprit wrote: "great review aly! i'm super jealous you got a copy already! and those quotes are just so beautiful i need this book now :)"

Thanks! omg I didn't even realise your from the UK too! Yes, they just got the ARC' in. The book comes out in Jan, which is like in forever!

Nomes LOL @ the intensity of your anger. I can feel that way about books as well.

I like your review, very informative (so far I have only read the gushing reviews, which don't give me as much to go on...)

Aly (Fantasy4eva) Nomes wrote: "LOL @ the intensity of your anger. I can feel that way about books as well.

I like your review, very informative (so far I have only read the gushing reviews, which don't give me as much to go on..."

I was a little worried that I was giving too much away at one point - especially with the quotes, but in the end thought what the hell. I did notice that about other reviews and was like, 'IT WAS AWESOME' does not help me decide if I want the book or not, AT ALL! LOL.

Yeah, I was pissed. I was actually surprised as to just how angry I got. Did not expect it, but I think because it was predictable and because I knew how things would go, it kinda frustrated me. You going to get this one, or is it a pass with you. I can imagine you quite liking it. It's sweet and fun and cute, but personally, I think I prefer my reads more on the intense and grittier side. This one was a little too soft for me.

message 3: by Jane (new) - rated it 1 star

Jane YES to all of this. I loved the storyline between Hadley & Oliver but the whole situation with her father ruined it for me! It made me so angry. Maybe because I can relate to the background story of the dad leaving his family. I was reading this novel thinking to myself that if it was me I would've said congratulations, I'm glad you're happy, eff you, enjoy your new life without me , and sianara. & I would've shoved that book in his face. I give her props on how she handled it, being the bigger person and all but I would've walked out with pride and dignity. . .

message 2: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin As someone who's been estranged from their father, it takes remarkably little sometimes to forgive them. Just sayin'. I understand what you mean though, about it feeling like they didn't go through enough. I've been angry at characters in other books for forgiving stuff like that.

Your review was insightful, and helpful. Thanks. I'll probably read it because of this review.

Aly (Fantasy4eva) Erin wrote: "As someone who's been estranged from their father, it takes remarkably little sometimes to forgive them. Just sayin'. I understand what you mean though, about it feeling like they didn't go through..."

I get your pov. It's why I get that people react differently. Some might be able to forgive whilst another might really still want that relationship to work. And thanks! Let me know how you find it :)

Jane wrote: "YES to all of this. I loved the storyline between Hadley & Oliver but the whole situation with her father ruined it for me! It made me so angry. Maybe because I can relate to the background story o..."

gah!! I am so with you there. The whole situation with her father really pissed me off. I just didn't feel like he was genuinely sorry. He got it way too easy in my opinion. But it's a decent read. Cute and sweet. :D