Elizabeth B's Reviews > First Descent

First Descent by Pam Withers

Oct 19, 11

Read in September, 2011

This book has a great plot line and I am a sucker for adventure novels. Anything that helps youth travel somewhere new, face new experiences and/or locales is a wondrful addition to our small town library collection. Books, after all, can take us wherever we want to go, and this book is a prime example. I loved the background descriptions, the chosen setting and the "journey" throughout the book. Rex, the main character, was arrogant and almost impossible to like at the story's beginning but this tends to be true about most world class adventurers. It make him difficult to relate to (and some will flat out despise him to the extent they can never get passed it and move on with the story) but anyone who knows of the drive and arrogance of world class athletes will probably find him simply annoying. Myriam's story (his local guide) is much more intriguing and I think the author did much better with her story than with the main character's. My main quibble is that the change in point of view was difficult and, in my opinion, completely uncessary to the plot. It does give a different perspective of the story but, for this plot line, the plot should have carried the story on enough rather than relying on a "trick" of POV changes to try and keep the reader engaged. Despite the character issues, this is a good story that would appeal to adrenaline junkie readers or outdoor enthusiasts who want to experience something in a different location to their own.

ARC Galley Proof

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read First Descent.