Yvensong's Reviews > Mechanique: A Tale of the Circus Tresaulti

Sep 22, 11

bookshelves: dystopias-utopias, science-fiction, fantasy
Read from September 12 to 20, 2011, read count: 1

4 1/2 Stars

Wow! I understand that this is G. Valentine's first novel. I sure hope she considers writing other novels. She had me enthralled from the first page on, even though she did something I usually detest in novels. The narrative switches from second person, third person and first throughout the novel. Most authors do that so poorly that it detracts from the story. In this novel, it adds layers of complexity, making this one of the most interesting novels I've read in a while.

The characters were interesting and mysterious, as well as the vehicle used to move the story forward, the circus. What kept them together, despite all the conflicts, personal and otherwise? Why did they continue on in a world pretty wiped out by war? Valentine asked and answered these questions through her characters, weaving their tales, mostly through the eyes of Little George, a young man who travels with the circus.

Sometimes the writing seemed disjointed, yet it was that very writing that drew the world out for this reader. I got more of a sense of the era, the people and the world, than if the author had painstakingly tried to describe it. Kudos to the author for taking such a brave stance to break some of the rules of writing and making it work.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mechanique.