George's Reviews > Murder at the Vicarage

Sep 19, 11

bookshelves: nook-st
Read from September 15 to 19, 2011

DESULTORY AND DISCONCERTING.

“These women are singularly deficient in humour, remember, and take everything seriously.”—page 20

Until ‘Murder at the Vicarage,’ I had never read an Agatha Chisty novel, So, I was grateful to Barnes and Noble when they offered this, the first of the ‘Miss Marples’ series, as a free NOOKbook in their ‘Free Fridays’ promotion.

Unfortunately, after reading this one, I’m in no hurry to read another.

I simply never could connect with the rhythm of the narrative, and often found myself confused when what I’d just read made no sense in connection to what I was presently reading, less than half a page later. The discordant meter of the storytelling was very annoying.

Recommendation: Would probably be best consumed along with liberal quantities of a good Chianti or Merlot.

“The young people think the old people are fools; but the old people ‘know’ the young people are fools!”—page 205

Barnes & Noble NOOKbook, 210 pages.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Murder at the Vicarage.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by William (new)

William Ainsworth I totally agree. Dare I say this, but Agatha Christie was not a very good writer. Her books are formulaic (think of an ending and then work backwards). Her characters are flat and uninteresting. She was such a snob that even the murderer has to be upper class. There are better books to read.