Virginia Jacobs's Reviews > Shadow Divers

Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson

1942099
Sep 28, 11

Read from September 15 to 28, 2011

This book was very interesting and made me want to do deep sea wreck diving, although I've never actually been scuba diving. I think the book did a very good job of explaining the dangers of deep sea diving, as well as the techniques used to cope with these dangers.

Having lived in New Jersey at the time the wreck was discovered, I vaguely recall the story in the news, so it was very interesting to me to read a complete report of the events. It was also interesting to read about how dangerous it was to be a part of a U-Boat crew, and also that everyone who was in the German military was not pro-Nazi.

There were a couple of editorial changes I would have made to the book. The chapters were of varying lenghts, and a few seemed to be just a little too long or detailed or both. Also, occasionally, a character would be referred to by their first name and then just a few paragraphs later by their last name...it was a bit inconsistant.

Overall, this is a tremendous read, which is a huge compliment from me, since I don't normally read non-fiction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow Divers.