Maree's Reviews > Death Note, Vol. 1: Boredom

Death Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi Ohba

Sep 16, 11

bookshelves: favorites
Read on September 15, 2011

What an awesome concept! And I love that I can pretty much read them on my eReader. There were a couple of times when I had to squint a bit to read the print, but otherwise it was very cool.

The story is about a college student who picks up a notebook dropped by a bored Shinigami (death god). All he has to do to kill someone is to write their name down in the book, and they will die. As Light learns more about the Death Note, as it's called, he can manipulate the method and time of death as well. He begins by killing a man who has killed a number of people already and is holding hostage a bunch more, then begins killing convicted criminals in prison, believing that he's making a better world. This rash of deaths obviously attracts attention, and the police and the mysterious detective L are called in to investigate. Light and L begin to match wits and...it's on to the next book!

The idea is cool, as I've said, and I really like how the battle begins in Light about how killing is wrong, but about how he can use the Death Note for good, and how people will be afraid to do wrong with him policing the world. I can't wait to see how it's going to continue to affect him now that he's after L, who is technically doing 'good' by catching a serial killer. Dark and interesting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death Note, Vol. 1.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Maija I enjoyed Death Note, as well. The story is gripping and the story has an interesting discourse on the aspects of good and evil.

The art is also beautiful. I love Takeshi Obata's style, it's very clean and clear.