Kat's Reviews > The First Days

The First Days by Rhiannon Frater

Jul 04, 12

bookshelves: zombie, female-protagonist, 2012-read
Read from September 14, 2011 to May 27, 2012

There are very few female writers of the zombie sub-genre and Rhiannon Frater is probably one of the best-loved - and rightly so. With an ability to write perfectly towards her target audience, and create stories that are enjoyable and accessible to any reader, The First Days is one of the best female-protagonist zombie books I have ever read.

Starting with one of the most disturbing opening scenes of any zombie tale, and screaming through the zomb-apocalypse at a fast pace, whilst developing characters in a way that defies any reader not to care for them, The First Days is a book not easily forgotten.

Katie and Jenni are the perfect girl-power partnership - both vulnerable in their own ways, with baggage that sometimes impairs their ability to see situations as they really are, but their friendship is strong, despite the extreme circumstances under which it was rapidly formed. Katie is outwardly strong but inwardly vulnerable, and Jenni is an open book - fluctuating between despair and euphoria, both of which are completely plausible reactions to the world pretty much imploding in front of their eyes.

As well as Katie and Jenni, the secondary characters are also extremely well fleshed-out, from the ex-Israeli sniper to the swarthy, smart-mouthed construction worker, and all the others in between. The action scenes are very well written, and there's no pages and pages of weapons discussion - its revolvers and rifles, shovels and spikes. Lengthy descriptions of weapons is something I tend to zone out of, so it's another big tick for The First Days that things are kept simplistic.

I did read The First Days just after it was first re-released by Tor, but it was just as good the second time around - I can't wait to read the rest of the series!

Read more of my reviews at The Aussie Zombie
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The First Days.

05/23/2012