Sam Woodfield's Reviews > Pyg: The Memoirs of a Learned Pig

Pyg by Russell A. Potter

F 50x66
Sep 25, 11

Read from September 15 to 25, 2011

I have just finished reviewing this novel for a major UK retailer.
Pyg follows the life of a pig, Toby, as he escapes the butchers knife and embarks on a career as a performing 'sapient' pig. The tale follows Toby, as he travels around the country performing in theatres counting, spelling and reading minds.
I'm a little unsure what I think about this novel. It is important to remember that this is a novel and not really life as it is cleverly written to imply. It is the style of writting which I really think lets this novel down. I've read 'Babe' and found this really endearing and was really attached to the pig by the end. However, in this case I didn't get that feeling and so at times found this novel really quite boring and a bit of a plod. I didn't get any of the excitement I should have got when Toby achieves various things and reaches certain milestones which I think are the highlights of the novel.
Its a shame that this was the case for me as I did actually like the concept of this and was quite interested in seeing how this would develop and therefore was slightly disappointed with how much I liked this.
I think though, that this is just a matter of taste and this novel just wasn't written in such a way that worked for me. I'm also not normally a fan of novels with animals as the main protagonist and I think this was another reason I didn't really enjoy this.
If you are a fan of animal novels then I do think you would like this, and I think the integration with real life and known characters of the period was a good touch and so would recommend this to readers who ususally go for this type of novel. However, for me, it didn't really work
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pyg.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Jeff Hi Sam,
Just curious. In personally not finding the book satisfying how does that affect your recommendation to the retailer? In other words do you allow your personal preferences to override how this book might be viewed by others? I saw in your critique that you allowed for the fact that some might enjoy the book. I have not read it yet, so don't have any opinion of the book one way or another. I was just wondering as a buyer how you consider things that may not be to your taste, but may be for someone else. I'm looking forward to your response.
Sincerely,